Creepy Crawlies are out already...

twosevenright(central MA)April 4, 2005

The ground's still frozen, but the nasties are out already. After a hard day in the woods I was laying in bed last night when I felt a tickle on the back of my neck (nope it wasn't the bride). Went in the bathroom and pulled off a small tick that was looking for a place to settle in. Can somebody set me straight about wood ticks versus deer ticks? How big are deer ticks? The ones I see up here are about the size of a sesame seed and are reddish brown in color. Guess it's time to Deet the clothes again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I'm in Georgia and we see mostly mammal ticks and they are about the size of a very small green pea. If it is sesame seed sized, I'd say that is a deer tick.

Hopefully, some northeasterns will chime in.

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 9:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fusty_overalls(z6 PA)

Yeah. The deer ticks I've seen are the little ones (sesame seed size). They're the ones you've got to watch out for because of Lyme disease.

When you see one on you, you prob ought to hang on to that little guy for a week or two (I stick them on a piece of tape...poor little thing). Then, if you get the symptoms (rash, flu symptoms, swollen lymph nodes), you'll have something to take for testing or to show the health department.

blah. >:-P

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
anyone have a fairy glen fern?
or know of a place to get one?
bragu_DSM 5
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
redsun9
ongoing stiltgrass battle...update
Ran out of wood chip mulch but needed to cover a deer...
adidas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™