Help identify twisted tree - Hathersage

lemonstarApril 21, 2013

This is without doubt a very common and unremarkable tree but in the winter it's harder for me to identify especially when I only know the names of a few common trees from their leaves.

The branches are twisted - they covered a wide band on the slopes leading down to a stream - as you can see form the picture the whole area is damp and mossy. The slope was just down-bank from a heather moorland and a band of silver birch trees at the top of the bank. Are these just some variety of oak?

This post was edited by lemonstar on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 9:29

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adidas(6/7)

What a beautiful place! Is Padley Gorge nearby? I found a photo on the link below w/similar trees...the author referred to them as sessile oaks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Padley Gorge - sessile oaks

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 9:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lemonstar

The trees on this slope do lead down to Padley Gorge - and the walk up it is as pretty as it seems. There are 3 huge sessile oaks lining a neighbours garden (75-85ft high) - using a book of British & European trees I identified them from their slightly elongated version of a traditional oak leaf but the book, like so many others I guess, doesn't give much guidance on identifying trees without leaves and most of the pictures are of mature trees, there is a very limited list of buds in this book that can be identify but I didn't take any close up photos.

Thanks for the suggestion - maybe they are young sessile oaks - I wondered if the acid soil for the purple heather and silver birch on the moors at the top gave any suggestion as to the soil type on the slopes - it's mossy on these wooded slopes around the stream and gritstone definitely dominates the region.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 3:29AM
More Discussions
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
Ridding property of invasive glossy buckthorn
Place we bought month ago has 1/3 acre of wooded land....
agurkas
when to transplant lily of the valley
I bought a couple of half gallon (I think) pots of...
komi
seeds for woodlands
what kind of seed can i just throw out in woods that...
skippy_5
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™