No float cypress mulch?

marti8aJune 16, 2007

Wrong!

This is my patio after 2.5 inches today. On the left side covered with floating mulch are the concrete stepping stones to the garage.

And remember that raised stone path we built to the deck?

It's under water too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scuba-gal(8a ~ Keller)

well...maybe it will soak in overnight. It happens to me here too...so much in one bed I had to remove 24 daylilys and relocate them to higher ground. Your yard sure does look pretty though! I love that stone path.
~angie~

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 9:04PM
marti8a

Thanks angie. I hope it will soak in overnight too. But it's raining again right now. *sigh*

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 9:14PM
abileneblues(8)

marti8a,

I don't have a solution for you, but I'm dying to know what those purple plants are.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 4:28PM
marti8a

Abilene, the purple plants by the edge of the deck are Purple Heart (like Wandering Jew). They're not completely happy right there by August, too much sun for them I think, but with water they make it through.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 9:29PM
west_texas_peg(8a West Cen TX)

I wish we had that much rain! We just had rain but I'm having to water some beds already.

I have Purple Heart in 2 flowerbeds. The partial shade planting is the happiest over the deep shade group. I put the small plant I bought 3 years ago in full sun but it was not happy...finally figured out it did not want as much sun. I love the way it looks with some sun on it...the plant lights up with a purple glow.

I'm 60 miles south of Abilene; darn Armadillos dig mine up looking for grubs. I stick the broken pieces in the ground, they root and start a new plant. Great color and the little pink flowers are sweet.

The partial sun bed is full of these and other members of the Tradescantia family...several colors of spiderworts and some yellow mums which look smashing with the Purple Heart.

Peggy

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 5:38PM
marybear56

We use the cypress mulch too, but I guess it doesn't float away because the beds are raised. I love the smell of it and it works so well for us. I remember using pine bark mulch when we lived in Beaumont that floated down the street. Ha ha

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
Your best all around plant.
What has been your best all around plant that you can...
nate82
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™