Systemic removal of wild raspberry?

twosevenright(central MA)April 12, 2005

I have a sunny glade in my woods that has been commandeered by wild raspberry. It has to go as the area has become totally overgrown and unsuitable for walking through. I started the removal process using my brushcutter, but stopped after quickly realizing that the stuff would immediately grow back. Is there a systemic herbicide that will get to the roots and clear it out of there once and for all, and if so, should I wait until the canes begin to leaf out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jasper_Storm(z8 SnoCo,WA)

Herbicides are absorbed only during periods of plant growth. Don't spray bare canes. Wait till they leaf out.

The best way to try to control raspberry/blackberry infestations is to try to dig/pull the root crowns and as much of the roots as possible (best done during the winter season) and the spraying the new plants in the spring with the much feared 2,4-D (or Roundup, if the temperature is warm enough).

This is one of the more difficult aspects of woodland gardening, but it can be done.

Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 8:52AM
JAYK(8b)

Roundup is not that effective on cane berry growth in the spring. Fall is the ideal time. Other herbicides can be used in the spring to much greater effect. "Brush" killing herbicides containing triclopyr are often used for this task. Systemic herbicides can be effective for freshly cut stems and cut stumps; foliar applications are not the only method of application.

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 1:26AM
suenh(4)

goats

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 7:35AM
lauramich(z5 So. Michigan)

Wild raspberry is one of the favorite berries of many different species of songbirds, so I only beat it back where it grows directly into my woodland paths. Every summer I enjoy the sight of birds feasting on the raspberries. Do consider relocating your trail around your raspberry patch or at least leaving some raspberries for the birds, and consider whether an aggressive herbicide program might harm the wildlife in your yard.

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 8:02AM
rshouck3

Well, I'm discouraged. I have a pretty powerful gas powered Stihl weed eater with a rotating blade. My goal - maintain a farmer's dirt road that runs between two stone walls. It hasn't been farmed since 1930 and we recently had the "pastures" logged. So the raspberries have taken over the newly sunny pastures and don't know that the road is off limits. The road is about 400 yards, so digging up the crowns is not an option. Wish me luck. At least there is no poison ivy (he said).

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 8:35PM
wisteria-tx(8)

After clearing many areas here of wild blackberry canes, I've found the only way of keeping them out was to keep the area mowed. Where I can't mow, I weedeat.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
Anyone know what type of tree this is?
There are no leaves yet but it is blooming. Appears...
sharbear50
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
anyone have a fairy glen fern?
or know of a place to get one?
bragu_DSM 5
Sponsored Products
LBL Lighting | LBL Lighting 12V 300W Remote DC Electronic Transformer
$248.00 | YLighting
62" Artemis XL5 Distressed Koa Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Mia Satin Nickel Four-Light Bath Fixture with Halva Glass
$526.50 | Bellacor
Florence Knoll Style Loveseat-Red - 100% Italian Leather