Tree cut in woods smells like poo....??

yoyobon_gwApril 9, 2011

We were clearing some brush and small trees and started noticing there was an awful smell of dog poo...and no, there wasn't any actual poo there.

Does anyone know what tree or bush in the wild would give off such a strong smell? And that smell traveled quite a distance too.

We live in the northeast.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

If you have Tree of Heaven (a non-native invasive tree that gets around), it sticks when cut. In fact it's nickname is "stinking sumac". Look up pictures and see if that is your plant.

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 8:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gayle0000(zone 5-Normal IL)

I had a massive siberian elm cut down in my front yard in fall 2008. Trunk was 5 feet across. I had the stump ground out. Filled the hole with soil, and grass is planted there now.

All season 2009 and 2010, I've had that poo smell in 2 very specific spots at the perimeter of the stump. It's not the whole perimeter that smells, just those 2 isolated spots. We'll see what happens in 2011.

One of the smelly spots, there is a little wood visible at the surface, and that piece of wood weeps all year. You can smell it 5 feet away...easy.

People/visitors and my kid comment on the smell. It's strong. It is the smell of poo...exactly the smell. It's definitely the tree.

Gayle

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 6:07AM
More Discussions
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
plants with clinging seeds, and their seasons
Hello, I am working an an art project that involves...
donbonus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™