Tye Dye & Brandy Boy

barryla61(VA - 7)July 9, 2011

I'm in VA zone 7.

I have 2 plants of each in my garden. Not impressed with either..

Brandy Boy plant is half the size of my other garden plants, set very few fruit and taste was only fair...

Tye Dye may be the most "flavorless" (is that a word?)and watery tomato I have ever grown. Tye Dye fruit is beautiful & clean.

We have had a wet spring and early summer so I'm sure this would attribute to the taste factor BUT my other tomatoes have good flavor.

Has anyone else grew the Tye Dye?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Never grown Tye Dye but have read mixed reviews on it.

That sure doesn't sound like Brandy Boy. It usually gets rave reviews. I'll post you a picture of a couple of my Brandy Boys later. They are easily 6' tall and have been producing very well. Flavor, like you said, is diluted by watering which is one reason why I don't water nearly as often as many seem to do.

Are these in ground or in containers?

Dave

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 3:30PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

My Brandy Boys get very tall too. I love the flavor! They've become a standard in my kitchen garden.

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 6:41PM
structure

Never grown Brandy Boy, but Tie Dye has been great. Not the best tomato in the garden: low production, thick peels, variable taste that is to the tart side rather than sweet. BUT oh, man are they lookers. No other tomato jazzes up a caprese salad like some nice Berkeley Tie Dye slices!

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 1:02AM
bigpinks

I picked my first two in ground tomatoes today and one was a Brandy Boy. Havent tasted it yet. The two in ground BBs are nice plants. Both set about six large tomatoes about a foot from the ground. One hasnt set any fruit above that. Three feet away, the other has 4-6 small fruit three ft up from the first big cluster. The tomatoes are gonna be a little rough shaped and I already know that I prefer the Estler Mortgage Lifter unless the taste is really all that. My two BB plants have about sixteen fruit approx. Most of the EML plants have 10-12 to a plant and many look to be 12-16oz fruit.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 9:14AM
monet_g

My Brandy Boy is about 6' tall and getting some nice fruit even though it's been quite hot. You can almost tell when we had the cooler weather by the "band" of tomatoes at certain intervals on the plant.

BB is a potato leaf. If yours isn't, Barry, that would be a clue.

Gail

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 9:57AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

WHich Tye Dye are you growing? Seeds form Brand Gates of Wild Boar Farms who developed it or the faux Tye Dye that Burpee was peddling that got a lot of folks very upset?

Carolyn

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 8:34PM
barryla61(VA - 7)

I think it is the Burpee. I got the plants from a greenhouse.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
Better than a ziplock bag
Credit: Durgan from Brantford came up with the idea. Pop...
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
Cost per tomato?
I'm not going to even guess. I'm going to order 8...
lucillle
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™