Small area planting help

snuggles2010May 2, 2010

I'm looking for some perennial plant suggestions for a very small area in terms of width. I just moved into the home and wanted to get some things planted that would give me a good 3 years before I redo the size and shape of the bed. Currently there is nothing planted there and it just looks bare.

I'm in SE Wisconsin and the area is only 3 ft wide by 25 ft long. It faces south east and is shaded by a large maple tree so it most of it seems like a shade to mostly shade area. There is a 5 ft long clip that is closer to part sun.

I was thinking of trying some black eyed susans in the clip that gets part sun. I've had better luck with them in that condition instead of full sun.

I'm looking for ideas for the shade to most shade areas that aren't the standard hosta and astillbe that might add some color but not be too large for that unfortunate small width.

Can anyone help me out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madisonkathy

Small, blooming in shade: celadine poppies, toad lily, sweet woodruff, jacob's ladder, lungwart, bergenia, heuchera, ajuga, tiarella, turtlehead. Many lilies bloom in shade/part shade (true lilies and especially daylilies). Reblooming daylilies with a groundcover (golden creeping jenny, sweet woodruff, vinca, or mulch) would look great. Most wouldn't need to be divided much before 3 years. You could also plant spring bulbs (daffs, tulips, etc.) that would bloom before the maples leaf out.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
wanted weeping willow tree cuttings
Does anyone have a tree that I can get some cuttings? I...
happytomato2008
Christmas cactus
Just wanted to show my cactus off. :) Believe it is...
gardeningmomof3
Northern Artichokes (Imperial Star, Grand Beurre, etc.)
Hello, I'm interested in hearing about sources and...
arugula
Lilacs
I am writing for my cousin who is not on Garden Web,...
thonotorose
Artichokes in SE Wisco?
I like to try a "novelty crop" every year...
sprout.918
Sponsored Products
New Hand Knotted Grenadier Red Veg Dyed 4'2"x4'8" Super Kazak Oriental Rug H4057
BH Sun Inc
Aspen Trees Wrapped Canvas
$67.99 | zulily
Napoleon Mirage BIM485PSS-2 Built-In Grill with 3 Bottom Burners - BIM485PSS-2
$799.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Dick Idol Gray Blue 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Lotus Zinc Garden Torch with Trellis Floor Stand - Weathered Zinc
Signature Hardware
Energy Saving Satin Nickel 52-Inch Ceiling Fan
$265.95 | Bellacor
Villa Stripes Flatweave Rug 7'9" x 10'10" - MEDITERREANEAN