ID Needed - Similar to Harbinger-of-Spring

indiancreeker(z5 IL)April 24, 2006

I'm trying to identify a plant which is currently blooming in my woodland. It has very tiny (1/8 inch)white flowers with 5 rounded petals. The plants are quite common and about a foot high, with rounded,lobed leaves similar to harbinger-of-spring or something in the hemlock family. I'm unable to find anything that matches it any of my field guides. It's taller than harbinger-of-spring, later blooming I think, and it does not have a round bulbous root, or red anthers. I do not think it's harbinger-of-spring, but thought the comparison might help id it. Any body have any ideas of what it might be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waplummer(Z5 NY)

WHAT DO YOU CALL HARBINGER OF SPRING?

Bookmark   April 24, 2006 at 10:21PM
sam_md

Harbinger-of-Spring or Erigenia bulbosa is a favorite of botanical field trips in late March or early April because it is the first such plant to bloom. I have never seen one more than 2" in height.
You are describing a plant similar to Cardamine with one exception, Cardamine like all crucifers has only 4 petals.
Sam

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 8:31AM
dees(5 IN)

Could it be false rue anemone?

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Image Search

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 1:04AM
indiancreeker(z5 IL)

I was just able to id this plant, thanks to a link in the Native Plants forum to a Missouri Flora website. The plant is Chaerophyllum procumbens (Streambank Chervil), and it's not in my Newcomb's so that's why I couldn't find it. It is a member of the Apiaceae family. I'm so excited I finally found it!

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
when to transplant lily of the valley
I bought a couple of half gallon (I think) pots of...
komi
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
Invasive Cleaning
I figure the climate in the east is so favorable to...
redsun9
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™