planting lily of the valley

mishko_2006April 2, 2007

I've just got 2 pink-flowerering LOV plants from a nursery.

Do I plant the thin "roots" horizontally 1 inch deep and leave the small 1 inch "bulbs" underground too? (one plant has one of these, the other two)

Or is this an emerging stalk to be left sticking out of the ground?

I'm asking as the nursery gave no instructions and I'm a newbie.

Many thanks

MIshko

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomasincas

MIshko, never had pink LOV,just the common white,not sure of the best way to plant them.But make sure, if they are like the white, that they are in a place you specifically want them.My whites looked great for a couple of years ,staying just where I wanted them.Little did I know they were sending runners all over creation.Next thing I knew I had a mess on my hands,they were popping up all over in my plants.I had to dig them back up and separate them from the plants roots. And anywhere they broke off new plants started growing from the pieces. I found them to be highly invasive in my woodlands...but you may want just a nice section off all by itself...nice plants though..good luck...Tom

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 9:54PM
entling

I would put the whole thing under soil in a pot plunged in the ground. In fact, that is exactly what I am doing right now. I still have a 2x2' area to clear of lily of the valley before I plunge the pots. The part that is above ground is the green nub from which the leaves and flowers sprout. In my removal efforts, I have found some of these nubs to be just below the soil surface.

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 11:06AM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

UGH! I would put them in big pots! LOV no matter pink or white is extremely invasive. If you don't have the time to keep it under control it will not only be YOUR plant but it will be your neighbours and their neighbours as well. If you pot them, all you have to do is bring them into somewhere cool in winter. I bring my pots to the cold room for the winter and then put them out again in early spring so they feel like they've had 'some' winter exposure before they sprout again.

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 12:45PM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Round up works well on LOV.

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
Wild grape vine
The woods surrounding my house are all strung together...
leigh_va
Ridding property of invasive glossy buckthorn
Place we bought month ago has 1/3 acre of wooded land....
agurkas
anyone have a fairy glen fern?
or know of a place to get one?
bragu_DSM 5
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™