Is this a serviceberry?

eddiebird(z6 KCMO)April 8, 2012

These small trees are all over the woods on my rural property in Eastern Kansas. The flowers did not last long and when I compare them to a serviceberry at the Dept. of Conservation here in Kansas City, the flowers on my trees are pitiful. Pitiful! The flowers and the leaves don't exactly look like the serviceberries I see in books but I don't know what else these small understory trees could be. :-/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Sure looks like it to me. Amelanchier alnifolia perhaps.

tj

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 9:56PM
mosswitch

I just went out and picked a serviceberry leaf for comparison, looks just like it. Mine are already done blooming and berries are forming, so no flowers to compare. If they are indeed serviceberries, you should be seeing berry clusters.

Sandy

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 11:32AM
eddiebird(z6 KCMO)

Tsugajunkie-Thanks for the confirmation that it is a serviceberry. I don't know if it's the saskatoon one but heck, "seviceberry" is good enough for me. Thanks!

Mosswitch- I had heard so much about the beauty of serviceberries but I guess what I have in my woods is quantity, not quality. The flower display was pitiful. My photo shows the biggest cluster of flowers I could find. :-/ Maybe I'll get a dozen berries....and probably on a dozen trees! :-/ Oh well. I'm just happy to finally know what all those little trees are and maybe some year in the future they might surprise me with a big flower display. Thanks for running outdoors and getting that comparison for me. It's very much appreciated. Now I can move on to identifying other mysteries in the woods. :-)

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 12:38PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

The flower show will vary from year to year. Mine have a 3-4 year cycle of boom and bust. If you can get 3 1/2 cups of berries, they make a great pie. This year will be slim for me, but the two years prior I was able to get enough for my wife to make the pies...man that's good eatin'.

tj

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 9:42PM
oliveoyl3

or 4 cups of berries = batch of jam

follow the recipe for blueberries

This year looks great so far. Last year was slim, but the year before was when I picked enough over a few days for the jam. I just have to get them when ripe before the birds do.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 12:19AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

We had early hot weather and late hard freezes. Many fruit trees lost buds/blossoms and/or weren't pollinated (too cold for the bees). It's a thin year here for juneberries. :(

FataMorgana

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Poison Sumac Tree
Is this a poison sumac tree by chance? My woods appear...
mrwillya
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
Getting RID of Poison Ivy
How do you KILL the stuff?! At the rear of our property...
catherineOH
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
redbud tree not blooming
I have a redbud tree that I planted as one small twig....
dmaw65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™