Redbud tree in a garden box

JustFionaMay 20, 2013

Hi! I planted a redbud from a nursery in June of 2011. Our plan was to have a raised, boxed in garden along the back fence, so we put the tree into a 3' x 3' x 2' high box and planned on finishing the rest of the garden later and removing the left and right sides of the box so the tree would be in the long, raised garden. We wanted the tree up ASAP as we had just lost our massive poplars to old age and wanted some privacy from the ugly old apt building behind us.

We have now decided not to continue to build the raised garden as it would be too expensive (wood/earth).

The tree is doing well, but hasn't grown much in height. Since we planted it june 2011, it has grown about 6". Having it in the box gives is the extra 2' in height, but I wonder if its growth is stunted because of being in the box? Would it be better to transplant it in the ground? It was an expensive tree and its a lovely shape, albeit small.

I'd like opinions on whether it would grow better/faster inside our outside the box. Im not a gardener... just learning! :) Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JustFiona

One more thing... There is no bottom on the box so its just 4 sides. I wonder if the roots have gone below ground level yet?

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

I think it would do far better in the ground. The roots would stay cooler and the surface feeder roots could spread.

Yes, the roots are in the ground already.
Redbuds are known for having a very long taproot and not transplanting well so one would think that if you are ever going to move it the sooner the better.
If you do decide to do this do it during dormancy and dig deeply.

Even better (and far easier on the tree) might be to remove the sides of the box and simply add a bit of soil to build a small transitional berm from ground level to the level where the tree is planted. You won't want to change the actual planting depth of the tree at all- just a bit of soil to make it look like it fits in. This is what I would do. It would not disturb the taproot and would still allow other roots to spread out.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
seeds for woodlands
what kind of seed can i just throw out in woods that...
skippy_5
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Red/Bone 5 ft. 3 in.
$76.78 | Home Depot
Serena Dining Chair - WHITE
$999.00 | Horchow
Rustic Embossed Floral Kinetic Garden Stake
$19.99 | zulily
Beige Box Pleat Silk Shade 10x14x10 (Spider)
Lamps Plus
Swirla Black Cast Iron Outdoor Bench - IDF-OB1808
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Hammary 090-266 Hidden Treasures Box on Stand w/ Linen Crackled Finish
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™