Deer Flies!

jimbobfeeny(5a IN)May 26, 2012

A nice, moist woodland with a wide, flowing stream running through it is beautiful - Unfortunately, it is also prime real estate for deer flies. I just walked into my woods this morning, and ended up "skedaddling" after a cloud of deer flies and mosquitos started attacking me. Luckly, they are only around for a month or so!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

I've had good results with the Avon skin so soft spray. Reapply after 2 hours. If you don't like the spray you can try mixing the liquid with a lotion and spread it with your hands.

Be sure to get behind the knee or underside of upper calf, under the chin, back of arms, ankle, etc. Those are the places they get me if I've missed a spot.

The flies like to hover in the cool of our cherry trees when it's warm outside, so I avoid walking down that path. Hope that helps!

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 10:51AM
jimbobfeeny(5a IN)

deer flies, ticks, mosquitoes, oh my!

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 9:52PM
UmbrellaGirl(5)

I've trapped over 11,000 deer flies in the first 5 weeks of the 2012 deer fly season in Michigan using my version of the trolling deer fly trap developed by Dr. Mizell. My trap uses an umbrella, blue cups, and Tangle-Trap (purchased through Amazon). Check out my blog for how to make and use this easy effective trap. I've also posted my trapping data there. Happy trapping!

http://deerflytrapumbrella.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: deer fly trap umbrella

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 11:52PM
bellowbelle(z5 MA USA)

Hey, I like your invention (or, version etc.), UmbrellaGirl! I'll keep that in mind. I live in a woodland spot, although not really 'in the woods.'

When we walk our dogs, I usually have with me a small spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar/water & few drops of clove oil. When needed, I spray a cloud around me, not really 'on' me, and it seems to work as a good barrier against any kind of flies or bugs. Maybe plain water would be as effective, I don't know.

I've said to people that I'd like to have a small parasol with a push-button system of spraying the solution all around me in a circle -- the idea is that the handle would be a hollow tube for the solution, and some kind of pump would send the solution down through the spokes and out.

So far, my idea has generated a few snickers and laughs from my family, and even I myself do laugh at this idea, but -- ???

I really would like one!

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
Invasive Cleaning
I figure the climate in the east is so favorable to...
redsun9
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
seeds for woodlands
what kind of seed can i just throw out in woods that...
skippy_5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™