Disposing of poison ivy--how?
I have been trying to figure out the best forum in which to post this question. I think the P.I. topic comes up fairly often here.
We have a farm with several acres of woodlands--of course many of the trees have arm-thick poison ivy vines growing up the sides. In the yard proper, I have a stone ramp to an old bank barn which poison ivy has seen fit to colonize by growing under the rocks and through, hanging down the sides and forming poison ivy shrubs with 8 foot long arms.
Last year we sprayed multiple times. This year I want the stuff out of my planting areas and I've been cutting it and pulling it up out of the ground. Some of the roots running underground are incredibly thick and as hairy as the stuff braiding the trees.
Now I have a yard full of piles of poison ivy waiting to be disposed of. I think it's potent for years even when it looks dead. What do I do with all this stuff? I can't imagine hauling it to the brush places at the dump to become someone's future mulch or compost. YUCK!