Tomatoes...and the refrigerator

fireduck(10a)July 5, 2014

There is really a nice article in today's LA Times. It talks about the influence that refrigerators have on different fruits/veges. In short, it states that tomatoes should never be put in the frig. The study showed the frig negatively affected "fruity-floral aromas and sweetness. I had heard this before.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Was verified many years ago. But numerous folks haven't yet heard the facts.

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 3:10PM
fireduck(10a)

J...it was interesting to read the way different fruits and veges are impacted. Not all are created equal. haha

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 3:15PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Yeah. That is an age old know thing about tomatoes.
But storing melons in frig, make them even sweeter, i think.

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 4:37PM
Deeby

IMO, cold tomatoes are sickening. Ugh.

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 4:44PM
hudson___wy(3)

We are throwing out opinions here - who cares about the refrigerator test - once one is informed - the test the matters is your own taste buds! For me - a refrigerator fresh eaten cold tomato or cold tomato sandwich on a hot summer day is awesome!! I love cold cherry tomatoes in a salad too. Heck, I like them not refrigerated too but a refrigerator has never ruined a tomato for me - I prefer them cold most of the time!!

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 8:03PM
fireduck(10a)

Hudson...Based on people's responses here...I guess many people are interested in a "refrigerator test". I see you have a strong opinion on the matter. "once one is informed" as you say, one would understand the science behind why tomatoes lose flavor or fail to obtain flavor when refrigerated. Much of that is addressed in the article...along with other interesting things involving other fruits and vegetables.

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 9:06PM
Deeby

Hudson, I'm unfriending you. (Just kidding)

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 9:13PM
hudson___wy(3)

Come-on Deeby - we can still be friends - just put one in the fridge for me and one on the counter for you - haha.

I don't dispute what the fridge does to the taste of a tomato Fireduck - just saying - knowing that - doesn't change the fact that I prefer cold tomatoes most of the time - but that doesn't stop me from eating them off the vine in the GH - haha It is a good thing we can eat them the way we like them - regardless what science tells us!!

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 12:28AM
lilsprout

Here's my 2 cents...

Refrigerated tomatoes taste like store bought....YUCK!!

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 1:47PM
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO

I am with Hudson, in a round about way. I put tomatoes in pasta and regular salads, and in mac-and-cheese etc... I don't pick them out when I stick the left overs in the fridge, and I think those cold tomatoes are pretty tasty (better then room temp? Time for a taste test!). I do admit, I don't store tomatoes in the fridge, but now that I think about it, I just might though.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 3:56PM
Deeby

We're losing Zach..... No, Zach, noooooooooooo !

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 4:32PM
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO

Well, if Zach Schiff is not a man of compromise, then he is nothing.

So, Deeby here's what I propose: I will only put half of my tomatoes in the fridge. And, if I wind up liking them better cold....I just wont tell you what I do with the other half ;).

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 10:42PM
bibbus(7b)

So, I brought three tomatoes home from the store (mine are not ripe yet) and they started getting over ripe. So I chopped them up and put them in the fridge. I think they will taste better than going bad on the counter...

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 7:21PM
Deeby

Zach, OK, it's a deal ! Bib, at least tell me they're for tacos. Or salad. But still...

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 7:24PM
jimmy56_gw

I prefer mine in the fridge, Taste just as good but mine don't last long in the fridge, Maybe a day or 2.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
1st time growing tomato seeds in plugs
Hello, this is my first time growing tomato seeds in...
Thomas Eyr
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™