How do I kill a oleander bush

nanatriciaJune 24, 2010

How do I kill a oleander bush

I cut them down to close to the house out of control.I want to kill both have huge stumps .I do not want them to come back

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
srburk

My guess is you will very carefully have to apply a glycophospate product (RoundUp) that says it is "brush killer". Don't do it on a windy day and be very careful to shield anything you don't want killed.

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 11:32AM
beachplant(9b)

Good luck!
Cut them down as far as possible. Round up has no affect on them. Keep cutting them down. Do NOT tie the stump to your truck and try and pull them out, it will pull off the bumper! You can paint them with stump killer and sometimes that will kill them, but often it won't. Just keep cutting and cutting and eventually it will die. If you're lucky.

No, I didn't pull off the bumper, we watched my brothers neighbor try to get rid of a full grown oleander for 4 days, he chopped, sprayed, dug, sprayed, dug, cursed and sweated a lot, tied it to his bumper broke the rope, chained it to the bumper and pulled off the bumper. He even had a chain saw in the hole at one time. Hurricane Ike finally killed the oleander 5 years later LOL!
Tally HO!

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 12:45PM
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

I'd start with Tally's suggestion.

If it's allowed in your area, and you have the time to watch it AND it's not too close to the house, you could dump a bag of charcoal in the hole and try burning the stumps out.

If you can get enough of the roots cut, you can try pulling them out with a truck, but I don't know if you want to put in the time and effort to excavate that far.

The organic method that I've seen says to dump a bunch of sugar (they suggest any jams or jellies or other items that are lurking in the back of the fridge/pantry and shouldn't be eaten) on the stump, cover with mulch, and keep moist. I'm not sure I'd want to do that right next to the house.

I managed to kill the roots of a crepe myrtle by dumping the water from scrubbing the cats' litter boxes with bleach and soap on the area. It took quite a while for anything else to start growing there, though!

If you can keep water away from the roots, that might help them die.

I think I finally killed my cedar elm (it kept sending up shoots even though it had been chopped down and my father tried burning it out) by putting the roundup brush killer on the leaves, so if you get the bushes weak enough, that could be the last straw.

I wish you luck with your war of attrition!

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 8:31PM
fool4flowers(8)

They have some stuff they sell at co op farm stores that will even kill cedar and mesquite. I don't know the name of it but its heavy duty stuff. You can ask a store like that about it.

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 10:52PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

???? I don't think you can.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
garden bed holding to much water?
I have a 8x14 and a 4x14 garden bed . The top of the...
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
going to austin but can't spend all time nursery hopping...
...as much as I'd like to, ha ha. Would like to know...
vossner
Bunny Tail Grass (Lagurus ovatus)
I found Bunny Tail Grass on a $1 rack at the garden...
srks72
Plant thieves
Have any of you encountered plants being stolen right...
texaskittysa
Sponsored Products
Bush Furniture Cabot 5-shelf Bookcase
Overstock.com
Radionic Hi Tech Pendant Lights Orly 1-Light Satin Nickel LED Mini Pendant
Home Depot
Mini Boxwood Bush
$11.99 | zulily
Bush Furniture Aero Coffee/ End Table Set
Overstock.com
The Perfect Shade Protector 14 x 12-ft. Motorized Semi-Cassette Retractable Awni
Hayneedle
The Perfect Shade Protector 14 x 10-ft. Manual Semi-Cassette Retractable Awning
Hayneedle
Radionic Hi Tech Pendant Lights Orly 1-Light Satin Nickel LED Mini Pendant
Home Depot
Smart Solar Path & Landscape Lights Apollo 3-Light Antique Brown SpotLights
$52.98 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™