Tomato Tasting

texangal(z8a)June 11, 2013

I am trying to organize a Tomato Tasting for August. One hiccup...I've never been to one. I just think it would be fun to taste all those home grown tomatoes and find some new ones to try next year.

Has anyone ever been to a Tomato Taste Off? Or organized one?

If anyone wants to travel to the north Austin area to taste some yummy tamaters in August, you're welcome to come join us! I'll keep this thread updated with our info.

Heather

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sienna_98

Heather,

I've never heard of such a thing, although it sounds like a fun idea. I might be able to join, but I know that most years, my tomato crop is done producing by end of July due to the nighttime temps.

Kerri

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:51AM
marti8a

Sounds like fun. I've never heard of one either. My tomatoes are done by the end of June.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:59AM
texangal(z8a)

If you can baby your maters, maybe using a shade cloth, or extra water at base, whatever they need, you could drag 'em into the fall, and get that bonus crop in September and certainly October.

I'm in Austin, and mostly grow heirloom tomatoes, so maybe that's why I can get 'em through the fall. :)

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 12:47PM
GreenSerenity(8)

I'm in the area as well! sounds like it would be a great time, though I have also never been to a taste-off.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 4:58PM
marti8a

It's not worth the cost of the water to get them through those two or three months, at least for me. I've tried to get them through before, but they never really produced well after that heat.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:29PM
lucas_tx_gw

Even if you keep them limping along, I don't understand why a tasting in August? Doesn't seem they are going to set any fruit in July in Auston, no matter what you do.

Why not have one at the height of the tomato season, which most years I think would be about now, though in DFW at least we are waaaaay behind and just now starting to pick the early ripeners.

Sounds like a fun idea, but I don't understand the timing.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 11:13PM
phyllisb2008(8 DFW)

August would be a bad time try for the end of June.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 11:19AM
texanjana(8)

I agree about the timing. I pull mine by July 4th.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
San Antonio Gardeners Swap: Free
For more details please join us online. FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RevolutionGreenSeedBank/ Greetings...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Plant Quiz: What are these?
Here's a quiz. I pulled these seeds from a plant in...
Christopher (Dallas Garden) Miller
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
"Takes pruning--blooms on new growth"
What does this mean exactly? This is what my Plants...
violetwest
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™