Can anyone ID this for me? Trillium or Jack in Pulpit, or..?

prairiemoon2 z6 MAMay 1, 2008

I can't remember what I planted. [g] I know I had something that was dormant that I planted in the fall. I thought it was a trillium, but I am not familiar with what they look like when they come up. This area had a Jack in the Pulpit, that I thought had died out. That's all I know. Anyone recognize it?

pm2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pondwelr(z5 WI)

That is trillium. Jacks have only one central big vein on its leaf, while trillium has many small veins. Both have three leaves and come up at the same time, so its easy to mistake one for the other.
Pondy

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 1:49PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Oh, how exciting! I bought it half price last fall and it looked like a pot of soil. [g] Any special hints on how to take care of it? Will it bloom this year?

Thanks pondwelr!

pm2

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 2:01PM
esh_ga

Yes, that is a bloom bud in the middle. No special tips, just mark where it is so that when it goes dormant, you won't plant on top of it.

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 2:27PM
pondwelr(z5 WI)

Sorry, I dont grow them myself. However, I know they grow like weeds in all the woodlands around West Bend, WI, where I live. That means they like shade, probably dry soil, leaf litter and even woody debris. My only advice would be to not 'kill it with kindness'.

They are beautiful, arent they? maybe I should try some too. I sure have enough treed areas on my lot.

It looks like it has a flower bloom in the center already.

Pondy

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 2:28PM
myrtle_59

Deer love them, hope they don't browse at your house.

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 9:18PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Good to know myrtle, no, we don't have deer here at all so unless rabbits or groundhogs love them, then they are safe. :-)

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 4:41AM
misskimmie(z4b Central NY)

So far the rabbits and groundhogs have left my trilliums alone, Of coirse I have a veggie garden they munch on.

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 10:20PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

It bloomed!

:-)
pm2

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 9:10PM
taurean

Well I am jealous. My Trillium Grandiflorums hasn't even peeked yet. I planted them 2 weeks ago and ordered them from Viola Valley.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 10:22AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

taurean...mine was planted dormant last fall and no one was more surprised then I was to see it come up and bloom. I am going to look for more of them
in the fall again. I hope yours come up soon, or at least you will be able to get a refund and find them somewhere else. Try looking for more in the fall at 50% off too!

:-)
pm2

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 11:46AM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

I know this is an old post from back in '08,but I have something to contribute. I primarily garden with hostas,but my garden is in the woods in the mountains of western NC,so I think I qualify for the woodlands forum. This is a pic of one of my Trilliums,which I actually planted. I also have lots of native Trilliums in pink and fuschia,which come up every year in my hosta garden. I never move them,(unles they are in a path),mostly,I just incorporate them in the garden wherever they come up. Your Trillium will multiply,and you will get more flowers. Trilliums are easy to identify. They always have three leaves leaves,and a three petal flower,hence the name Tri-llium,meaning three. Take a look. Phil

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 9:26AM
illinoisdoglover(z5IL)

hosta_freak: sent you an email

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 12:46AM
Cynthia Jones

I have had trilliums for several years and have found that they generally need a little time to settle in after planting before they spread out. They are very reliable once they have settled in, though.

Here are a couple photos from last year.

This year mine are starting to poke out their little leaves already, so spring is not too far off.

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 11:19PM
ncrescue

Lovely. Thanks for sharing. A fenced in space keeps the critters away, as Trilliums are great food for them.

Wish more people would include natives...some are so spectacular, as are the Trilliums, and there are so many species of them. Enjoy!

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
redbud tree not blooming
I have a redbud tree that I planted as one small twig....
dmaw65
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
Getting RID of Poison Ivy
How do you KILL the stuff?! At the rear of our property...
catherineOH
Poison-free woodland plants
I am planning a small shade garden in the back side...
mary420
Anyone know what type of tree this is?
There are no leaves yet but it is blooming. Appears...
sharbear50
Sponsored Products
Food-Printed Picnic Plates - Set of 4
| Dot & Bo
15750TZT Kichler LED Vintage Park Deck Light Bronze Finish
EnvironmentalLights.com
14-Gallon Flo N' Go Portable Fueling System
$169.00 | FRONTGATE
Tech Lighting | 24V 600W Magnetic Single-Feed Surface Transformer Wall MonoRail
$800.00 | YLighting
Black Nickel Floor Lamps: Senator 71 in. Black Nickel Floor Lamp 5130-01
Home Depot