Plant suggestions needed for shady spot

marti8aJune 1, 2011

Under a big tree, may get some morning sun, and I have columbines around the tree and a lot of bare spots.

My requirements:

1) native

2) won't crowd out the columbine

3) won't require constant attention

4) drought tolerant is a plus

Any ideas? Widow's tears are beginning to take root in the bare spots and they will take over. I'm afraid they'll crowd out the columbine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ExoticRGVNativesTy(10a TX)

I'd go with pigeonberry (Rivina humilis), as it meets all of your criteria. However, I'm not positive it will grow thick enough to prevent widow's tears from also growing.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 6:46PM
PKponder TX(7b)

I grow a lot of turk's cap in my shady garden and ferns although they need more water than the tc. My columbine is thriving in early spring and then kind of recedes before the turk's cap gets big.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 6:00AM
marti8a

Good pkponder, I bought a turk's cap yesterday. Right now the area gets afternoon sun and I know turk's cap can take that. My columbine are receding right now too.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 7:02PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I thought of Pigeonberry also. It's beautiful with its red berries and pink flowers at the same time and is one of my favorite plants for dry shady areas. It has a carrot like root that stores water and doesn't wilt even when everything else is wilting.

Horse herb and Frog fruit are other natives that will grow in dry shady places.

All three of these will take sun also.

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CAVI2

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=PHNO2

Here is a link that might be useful: Pigeonberry ....

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 7:47PM
cynthianovak

Have you considered Bear's britches? I don't know if it is a native. I planted 2 plants, one remains several years later. It is interesting withunusual foliage and a flower spike now. I've read it can be invasive but has not been at all for me, in fact I hope it will multiply...smiles

c

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 10:21AM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

I am trying new this year Peter's Purple Monarda behind and Grand Parade (pink) Monarda in front in late morning sun. The Peters' purple is taller (abt 4') and narrower, an the grand parade is shorter and wider. Blooming now and looks very pretty together. They've been blooming about a week so far and look like they may continue awhile. I hear these cultivars don't reseed badly....we'll see lol!

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 10:36AM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I second Turk's cap for behaving around columbine.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 10:44AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

My Turk's cap looks wilted most of the time. No one else has complained about that. Do you just get used to it or is my ground hotter and dryer than anyone elses on this whole planet? LOL

Anyway, you might take a look at Mexican oregano which I suggested on another thread. It never seems to run out of steam no matter how hot and dry all summer long. It just keeps on flowering.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™