overwintering petunias?

Snomam(Zone 3)July 27, 2009

I bought some expensive petunias this spring and they're so gorgeous I want to winter them over. I'm thinking I'll dig them up before hard frost and put them in pots. Should I cut them way back? I can keep them in my heated garage (stays about 50 degrees during winter), but should I water them periodically? Should I put them where they get a little sun? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madisonkathy

I was interested in answers to this, too. When there weren't any, I googled it. (I've over wintered annual geraniums for years).

The consensus is....either take cuttings and start them in a pot, or cut down the petunias, put them in a bright window, and treat as a house plant. In the spring, they'll probably be spindly but you can cut that all back, and they should fill out and bloom again.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 6:31AM
leftwood(z4a MN)

I believe that is the right advice. I am not aware that our regular petunias are perennials at all, so I don't think they will survive dormancy, no matter how warm it is.

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 1:59PM
milwdave(Zone5 Milwaukee)

Petunias are all tender perennials...you can winter them over if you can provide the right conditions. There's about a 50/50 chance they will make it through the winter. But, you've already bought them so what do you have to lose?

Dave
Milwaukee

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 7:52AM
More Discussions
Lilac varieties
Hi, I am totally clearing a side lotline between two...
l_klink
Hardy Hibiscus Moy Grande Mallow
Would like to buy a plant southern WI. or Northern...
hawkeye840
Where can I buy bulk organic compost in Green Bay/Appleton area?
Does anyone know of a good source for bulk organic...
cukesalad
Does anyone grow bougainvillea as an annual?
I purchased 2 Purple Queen bougainvillea today to grow...
mary_lu_gw
Bindweed Solutions
Here we go!!!! I know y'all got it somewhere..how do...
milwdave
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™