If rhododendrons are poison then why do the deer eat them?

myrtle_59May 20, 2008

I just ran across this about rhododendrons

"HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN!"

Poisonous parts - all parts

"Salivation, watering of eyes and nose, abdominal pain, loss of energy, depression, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, difficult breathing, progressive paralysis of arms and legs, coma."

at this site

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Rhodosp.htm

so if this is true why/how do the deer eat every single one I plant in my yard?

Does any one know more about this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

Just because a plant is poisonous to humans doesn't mean it is poisonous to deer, apparently. Deer eat a lot of plants that would be considered at least inedible, if not outright toxic to humans. For an example, deer can eat poison ivy, which would probably kill most humans. On the other hand, I think a few things humans eat are supposed to be toxic to a lot of other mammals - chocolate is supposed to be toxic to dogs and rats.

    Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 2:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myrtle_59

Of course you are right. Grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs.

And ruminants do have a very different digestive system. My brain must have been asleep.

    Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 3:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob64(6)

Sometimes I see rhodos being marketed as deer proof or deer resistant. Apparently, the deer around here did not get the memo.

    Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 9:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardmom

Guess it depends on the food available. They chew on my azaleas each winter, but leave the rhodo's alone.

    Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 9:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myrtle_59

The deer eat all my 'regular' rhododendrons but do not eat the PJM variety. These are a hybrid that is evergreen in the winter, has a small leaf and has a particular odor to the leaf when you crush it. They are dwarfish. Better than no rhododendrons at all but not the same.

    Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 7:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrescue

Years ago my two dogs ate a three-foot rhododendron to the ground and survived. They were not even sick! They also consumed a fairly large c. myrtle,many other plants, and even munched on black walnuts! However, one dog, at the ripe age of 12, apparently ate something that did her in. The other dog continued eating plants and lived to the ripe age of 16+.

    Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 6:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myrtle_59

I guess your dogs didn't get the memo about poisonous plants!

    Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 6:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waplummer(Z5 NY)

Mountain laurel is poisonous also and they eat that as well although many sources list is as hardly eaten..

    Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 10:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Deer also love (LOVE!!) yews, which are highly poisonous to cattle.

    Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 6:05AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Anyone had experience w/ Aralia elata?
Hello. Has anyone dealt w/the eradication of this one?...
adidas
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
redsun9
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™