Roundup worked on Garlic Mustard
Over the past few weeks I sprayed a lot of the Garlic Mustard in my woods with Roundup (actually a generic version which was cheaper). I was hoping I could spray and kill the Garlic Mustard without damaging the native woodland plants that are still hanging on in the same areas. Now, a couple of weeks later, I am able to see that my approach apparently worked. I tried to spray at the time of the year when Garlic Mustard was actively growing but few of the native woodland plants had emerged from the ground. This spring that meant spraying in mid-April, or even sooner if I had gotten around to it. When I mixed the Roundup at the recommended strength, I saw no results for several days, so later spraying was done at the stronger strength recommended for shrubs. Now, a couple of weeks later, I see that both dosages worked. In several places I have dead or dying Garlic mustard with natives like Wild Geranium, Mayapple, False Lily of the Valley, Virginia Creeper, Red raspberry, and Blackberries emerging in the middle of the dying GM. Apparently spraying the GM, and unavoidably spraying a fair amount of Roundup on the forest floor, didn't hurt the natives that had not yet emerged from dormancy. It doesn't seem to have done too much harm to the blackberries either, although I sprayed a lot of balckberry stems. Part of the reason that I chose to spray was that a lot of the GM was growing amid blackberry canes and was hard to get to, and would have taken a lot more time that I could devote to pulling. Another reason was that pulling disturbs the forest floor and I suspect encourages the next generation of GM. there are a few natives that emerged too early and I had to avoid, including violets and bee balm (Monarda didyma). Overall, I am happy with my results. I would not have gotten nearly as much of the woods cleared of this year's crop of GM if I had only pulled.