Oily black stuff on Crape Myrtle

ccabal(7)July 31, 2012

Hi,

I have a couple of pink Crape Myrtle trees, and their leaves have this black oily film on them, and the branches also have this, plus have white spots too. I've had this before, last year too. Is this a big deal?

I have a white crape myrtle nearby that doesnt have this problem. It has grown much larger than these 2 smaller trees. Anyone seen this before?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

It's 'black sooty mold' caused by mold growing on the 'honey dew' secreted by aphids. Spraying with insecticidal soap is recommended.

The white spots are most likely powdery mildew which some varieties of crape myrtles are subject to mostly in the spring, especially if there is not good air circulation and they are not in full sun. Sometimes trimming out some of the interior foliage will help, plus you can spray them with an anti fungal solution.

Good luck. Crape myrtles are beautiful trees and are mostly carefree. Incidentally I find using the Gilmour 362 professional hose end sprayer to be the most convenient way to spray. Amazon.com carries it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search results for sooty mold on crape myrtles ...

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 8:28AM
lucas_tx_gw

The white things if they are on the branches might actually be an insect known as scale. CM's are also susceptible to that.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 10:55AM
beachplant(9b)

ordered one of the sprayers, thanks! I have scale on the citrus aarrrggghhh!
Tally HO!

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
Anybody grow red buckeye?
I bought a small red buckeye almost a year ago. When...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™