Help! Planted a zone 6 perennial by mistake

gunnysax(Zone 5 ~ SE Wi)July 11, 2007

Darn it. It was just what I was looking for. Tall,
pretty and purple. Got so excited I forgot to look at the tag until after I planted it. Its a Black Adder Hyssop zone 6-10 perennial.
Do you think I can winter it over here in zone 5? If so, how can this be done?
It will be in full south sun all day in winter, and it is planted against the back of the garage.
Thanks for any replys. Judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justaguy2(5)

Mulch in the winter. Sounds like the location is as close to ideal to try 'zone pushing'. I would say you have a reasonable chance of it making it through.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 4:46PM
athenainwi

I bought one this spring too. I've seen it listed as anything from zone 5 to zone 7. It's a new variety so I don't think anyone knows for sure yet. I bought it because it is a close relative of Blue Fortune Agastache which is hardy to zone 5. These are supposed to do better if they don't get wet in the winter and have a rock mulch. Let's hope both our plants do well.

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 3:56PM
lee53011(5)

I have a few zone 6 and zone 7 plants. Usually I cover them with as much snow as possible in winter. It is not only the cold that kills them though, many times they rot in the ground from our wet fall and spring.

Bookmark   July 28, 2007 at 9:33AM
kimberlyk57

I don't know if this will work but I've read about them doing it to bushes in the far NE states like Vermont and New Hamshire. Find some way to wrap loosely wrap burlap around it and stuff the inside with straw or leaves. I did the same thing as you, except mine is a clematis Montana Rubens. It was sold at Menards and the tag said that is was hardy to zone 4 but after doing some reading I have found out that it may survive the winter up here but the foliage will almost completely die back to the ground so I never get any flowers! It only blooms on old wood. I am going to try the burlap thing myself this winter so I thought I'd mention it. I really hope it works.

Kimberly

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Bindweed Solutions
Here we go!!!! I know y'all got it somewhere..how do...
milwdave
Where can I buy bulk organic compost in Green Bay/Appleton area?
Does anyone know of a good source for bulk organic...
cukesalad
Does anyone grow bougainvillea as an annual?
I purchased 2 Purple Queen bougainvillea today to grow...
mary_lu_gw
Lilac varieties
Hi, I am totally clearing a side lotline between two...
l_klink
Is my Butterfly Bush dead?
On a whim last year I planted a butterfly bush in a...
bristlingacres
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™