Indian Pink & Crimson Honeysuckle

outsideplaying_gw(7)May 23, 2005

Is Indian Pink invasive? Also, I read that it doesn't transplant well. Does anyone have any experience with it or with the crimson honeysuckle? I have found both in the woods on our property and wondered if I could transplant to another location where they could be seen.

Thanks.

Elaine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_al

spigelia marilandica should be considered a woodland treasure. i could not see where it would ever be considered invasive. i understand the clumps are rather slow to expand in the garden. don't know about transplanting since i ordered mine from a nursery and planted in late winter.
if i were transplanting, i would attempt to get as large a soil mass as possible to avoid disturbing the roots and keep it watered well this first growing season.
i also grow lonicer sempervirens (native red honeysuckle) and have yet to find one popping up in the surrounding area. this is a much better plant to cultivate than its asian cousins - now, they are invasive!

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 4:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
outsideplaying_gw(7)

Thanks Jeff. There is a fair amount of it, and I'd like to get some of it closer to the house to attract hummers. I may try to transplant a clump. I've also seen both growing close together in a wooded area where I jog. It's next to a trail a neighbor cleared for access to a man-made lake. I didn't realize the "pinks" were considered a treasure. And we do have plenty of it's asian cousin! But I love the smell this time of year.

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
Anyone had experience w/ Aralia elata?
Hello. Has anyone dealt w/the eradication of this one?...
adidas
Wild grape vine
The woods surrounding my house are all strung together...
leigh_va
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
when to transplant lily of the valley
I bought a couple of half gallon (I think) pots of...
komi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™