Can you identify?

mizellie(z7 Al)May 27, 2009

Hi folks, I am a newbie to this forum and spend most of my time on the Daylily forum. I have a tree/bush that I can't identify and thought some of you nice folks might be able to help. I bought it at a native nursery in Guntersville, Al. The owner has since passed away and they are out of business so no help there. The blooms on the bush are about 3 to 3 1/2 " across and it stays in a cup style bloom. The flowers look very similar to a passion flower but have a thicker texture. I think the blossoms would be bigger if they lay flat. I have had it for several years but last year was the first time it has bloomed. It had hundreds of blooms but this year they are more sparce. Still a lot of blooms though. It's about 7 feet tall now.. I appreciate any help you can give...BTW, the damage is caused from the abundance of rain we have had! Thanks...Ellie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrescue

Could it be a native stewartia? The data base shows it as being native to your area. I would love to have one! I have bought a few small ones, but I have lost them to the cold, I guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stewartia

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 7:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mizellie(z7 Al)

ncrescue, that sure looks like the one I have. I will have to do more research on it but I truly thank you for your help. You said you had some small one die. Where did you get them? I am in North East Alabama but have never seen this shrub/tree but once and that's the one I have...Thanks again..Ellie

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
redsun9
Ridding property of invasive glossy buckthorn
Place we bought month ago has 1/3 acre of wooded land....
agurkas
Jack in the Pulpit Propagation
A youth group cleaned my garden and clipped three JITP...
Elgie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™