Mountain Pinks and Blooming Natives

wantonamara Z8 CenTexJuly 9, 2014

The Mountain Pinks are really putting on a show this year. and I included a few natives that are blooming in my yard for the first time. I would like to try to establish them on a slope on my land. I have not been successful before. SO if you have some hidden knowledge about these beauties. I would like to hear how you are doing it.. What I know is that they need full throttle sun on a slope of disturbed limestone rubble and caliche that water will flow across when it rains. I sent seeds to TexasRanger and she gets blooms every spring. She can get anything to grow..

Here, below, is a Menodora heterophylla (2 yellow spots) and a Dalea purpuria amongst my mexican wire grass. It is the first bloom of the Redbud Menodora. I am hoping for more. It has been long in coming. I thought I had lost it but it has taken off this year. I think they are slow to establish.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TexasRanger10(7)

Mara, here is a closeup of one coming up from seeds you sent me that came up next to a large Hairy Golden Aster, another one you sent me seeds of. I love both of these Texas native plants.

Your pictures are gorgeous! I love your prairie clover. The ones in Okie-dirt seem to splay out more like a fireworks display, my pink ones have had a lot of rain this year so they are taller than usual. I've got my eye on a large white one I marked out on a roadside to get seeds from this fall. I love the liatris in the picture, thats a good grouping. My rough mendora looks like a weed compared to that variety you have. You'd drool.

The Mountain Pinks are finicky little things. Very choosey about their chosen spot. I only ended up with 4 this year but at least that will insure seeds enough to keep my small crop going.

1 Like    Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 3:47PM
TexasRanger10(7)

Here ya go, how's this for a closeup?

1 Like    Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 3:49PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Love those mountain pinks! Thank you both for the gorgeous pictures of your blooming native plants.

I read that when Lady Bird Johnson was looking for a place to plant mountain pink seeds she chose the slooping edges of the Air Force One runway on the Johnson ranch which had been built up and leveled with rubble. They flourished there.

1 Like    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:09PM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Thanks for sharing the photos. Nice having a name to put with another beautiful roadside flower.

One search quirk is that Google didn't initially return this plant in the first few pages for "mountain pinkS". Had to use singular form ("mountain pink") to find it on wildflower.org. Either works for me now that Google knows what I was looking for. Both forms seem to be in common use for Centaurium beyrichii, but without history, the Google algorithm apparently associates the plural form with creeping phlox and the single form with centaurium. Just mentioning in case anyone else is looking.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:14PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have a hard time finding it also on the net. I will have to remember about the the little "s". Life is in the details, and they often escape me and leave me hanging..

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:26PM
WoodsTea 6a MO

Are any of you familiar with the plant Centaurium texense, aka Zeltnera texensis or Lady Bird's Centaury? Looks like a waifish relative of mountain pink.

Bookmark   March 19, 2015 at 2:30PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Yes, I see it every moist spring. I should see it this spring. It grows in the meadow on the richer flatter soil that grass grows on. I do have a hard time telling it apart from Meadow pink. Matter of fact , I always called it Meadow pink but I think it is the other one. Meadow pink , i think is taller and in taller grasses to the east of here. Darn, the LBJ site is down for double checking. So I can't look smart today. There are several different versions of this corner of "floradom"

Bookmark   March 19, 2015 at 3:09PM
ocgf(Z8)

WoodsTea, C. texense is kinda common here in Kyle, TX. Au contraire, C. beyricii is more elusive. I have seen it growing only on soft hills of caliche soil by Wimberley. TX. C. texense grows mostly in flat, prairie-like areas, during spring and fall. I rarely see it during summer.

Omar

Bookmark   March 19, 2015 at 4:03PM
annieinaustin(z8 Austin)

So that's what they are - Mountain pinks. Thanks for the photos and IDs!
I've seen them occasionally while driving SW and was quite taken with the bouquet appearance.

Bookmark   March 19, 2015 at 6:04PM
abarbie4me2

Gorgeous! That plant has been on my wishlist for a long time

Bookmark   March 19, 2015 at 6:32PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The mountain pinks like a sloped surface of disturbed caliche that water flows periodically across. They do not like a lot of competition and no shade. Omar, as you notice the dates on the original entry ( July), they will grow in summer here. Think their growth spurt is entirely dependent on when they get their bounce of moisture. I have seen them spurt off after a august break in the endless summer, putting their bloom in early fall on a rare occasion. They are difficult to grow in a garden situation but Texas ranger has succeeded at it in OKC. I have heard that they grow elsewhere than just caliche, even though that is where I see it. The seeds need to sit and mature on the bouquets and are ready for picking in November/December.

Bookmark   March 19, 2015 at 7:08PM
ocgf(Z8)

Mara, Texasranger doesn't count. I am talking about regular gardens. I think she has an obscure deal with nature that would allow her to grow arctic plants in the desert if she wanted to.

Omar

Bookmark   March 20, 2015 at 11:37AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

OKC is much more arid than eastern Oklahoma, those xerics fit in quite well there. I don't want to discount TR's skill, but it suits her climate pretty well.

Bookmark   March 20, 2015 at 11:53AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Omar, nothing obscure about it. Txranger's link is a direct one with no static on the line. I am mixing my metaphors.

Bookmark   March 20, 2015 at 12:09PM
ocgf(Z8)

I was teasing. My comment only meant to point out TR's above-average gardening skills.

Bookmark   March 20, 2015 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Need help saving my magnolia
Hi Folks, Could anyone suggest me the reason for wilting...
aukumar
Isn't milkweed a perennial?
I started several plants last summer from seed and...
random_harvest
Plant thieves
Have any of you encountered plants being stolen right...
texaskittysa
Tree identification
Just bought a house in San antonio and have no idea...
Diana Ortega
Did anyone's firecracker plant come back in zone 8?
It is such a pretty plant and spreads so fast, I think...
marti8a
Sponsored Products
Berry Toys My Cute Pink Wooden Play Kitchen - W10C045
$154.00 | Hayneedle
Easy Pendant by Kartell
$180.00 | Lumens
Shaker Slope Chair in Pink
| Dot & Bo
Pink Elegance Valance
$9.99 | zulily
Missoni Home | Pinak Throw - Quick Ship
YLiving.com