mystery guest

pondwelr(z5 WI)July 17, 2009

All day today, my dog and I could hear stuff falling and bumping around in the garage. Some animal got trapped in there, and I dont know what. Finally, after opening the

garage door for a lengthy time, it is quiet. Whatever it was had a pretty chirriping sound, and I assume it was quite big, considering the mess in the garage. Anyone have an idea of what?

I knew it was hiding in one of those green tugs that are tall, and have handles. I'm ashamed to say that I was afraid to look. However, it gave the lovliest trilling

sound when threatened by my small barking dog.

So far, I have had racoons, possums, and red fox in and around the yard. Also tons of deer. Just can't figure out

what this critter was. Any ideas from fellow wisconsites?

Pondy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

I would say a racoon. They get into everything and chatter quite a bit. He was probably having a good old time!

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 11:27PM
bmunsayac(5)

I think its a prarie dog...it the little critters that dig holes in/under your lawn but look like chipmunks. I'm almost positive thats what it is because I have one that digs holes all over my yard and chirps like a bird whenever im near (Im pretty sure this is to notify its family/friends). They will definitely get into stuff as I'll always catch it trying to climb up my eavestrough or going through my garage. I've never heard a raccon chirp or trill and I think a raccoon would be able to muscle its way out of a garbage bin just IMO...

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 3:39PM
noinwi

Here's a link to some raccoon sounds(scroll down the page), maybe something will sound familiar...

Here is a link that might be useful: raccoon sounds

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 12:20AM
pondwelr(z5 WI)

Yes, noinwi, it could well be a racoon. perhaps a baby one

When my neice had a guinea pig, it made some similar happy
chirps and noises.

I'm an old grannie, and think I've seen and heard it all, but am bolloxed by those sounds I heard. Remember Occams Razor, tho. Always look for the simplest answer.
So far, it hasn't returned. Thanks so much, Pondy

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Artichokes in SE Wisco?
I like to try a "novelty crop" every year...
sprout.918
Lilac varieties
Hi, I am totally clearing a side lotline between two...
l_klink
Garden Show in Madison this weekend
Is anybody going? what was your impression? Hope the...
hawkeye840
Pruning trees
When is the best time of year to thin out a young Redbud...
Leafhead
ID help Any ideas?
SE Wisconsin area. Thanks!
kellief
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™