Question for shrub experts

luvtosharedivsJuly 27, 2009

I'm hoping some of you gardeners that have a passion for growing shrubs can help me with info on taking cuttings.

I'd like to know the best time of year to do this, and how a person would root the cuttings - how much to cut off the shrub, softwood, hardwood, soil conditions, etc.

These are some of the shrubs I'd like to take cuttings from:

Highbush Cranberry

Chokecherry

Viburnum

Sweet Mock Orange

Weigela

Ninebark

Yellow Twig Dogwood

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Julie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bmunsayac(5)

I think in general cuttings are best taken in the spring when the plant is strongest, however I have had success with cuttings taken in late summer also. If you wish to transplant in the fall then they shoud be from spring cuttings where as late summer cuttings should be held over winter and planted the following spring.

I have had most success with softwood cuttings and new shoots. I did pull a Mock Orange sucker late April (with a portion of the roots intact) this year from my mothers land and stuck it straight into the ground at my house. It has since been leafing profusely and looks to be in good shape.

I think the general concensus (from my own personal probing) is softwood cuttings about 5" long in the spring in a 50/50 mix of moist (not soggy) peat and perlite as a medium. Cover with a bag to hold moisture in, leave only a few leaves to prevent moisture from escaping via transpiration. Allow fresh air to circulate every few days.

Good Luck!

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
Gardening Help For Wedding
Hello, I am looking for some help with choosing plants...
Hexan
Garden Show in Madison this weekend
Is anybody going? what was your impression? Hope the...
hawkeye840
Evil Neighbors Killing Plants w/ Roundup
Help! It's true. I live in a condo development with...
Temmie
Hi out there!
I'm a newbie gardener. This is the fourth year I've...
sarcastichousewife
SouthEast WI Master Gardener Perennial Plant Sale May 16
May 16, 2015 8:00 AM-1:30 PM Rain or Shine Thousands...
marlene863
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™