Drought - anyone have the inclination...

jan44(z4b WI)July 14, 2012

to mow all the gardens off and wait until next year? We haven't had rain since the end of May. I've been watering everything, but am almost ready to give up!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woost2

I hear ya.

Between the drought, heat and the over abundant rodents (voles running over my feet, striped ground squirrels by the dozens) it is getting tiresome. I'm a fan of cover crops (buckwheat at this time of year) and will put a few beds in soon. Lost mature broccoli, kale, carrots and half the brussls sprouts to some rodent. Or all. All eaten from the top down. Got the final three BS plants fenced and the kale under row cover. No one is interested in the collards.

So far the toms and peppers are not under attack by the rodents, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Those toms have lots of water in them for thirsty critters. I am setting out pans of water in an attempt to deflect them from the tomatoes. In the meantime, it is too hot for fruit to set. *sigh*

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 11:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

if you give up ,then what will you do ?
your plants are still living and growing ,so dont talk so foolishly fight for your food

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Does anyone grow bougainvillea as an annual?
I purchased 2 Purple Queen bougainvillea today to grow...
mary_lu_gw
Too early for seeds?
(Wake up! Time to stop hibernating!) It happens every...
madisonkathy
Garden Show in Madison this weekend
Is anybody going? what was your impression? Hope the...
hawkeye840
Lilac varieties
Hi, I am totally clearing a side lotline between two...
l_klink
Artichokes in SE Wisco?
I like to try a "novelty crop" every year...
sprout.918
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™