Ephemerals: structured or natural ?

dbockwoldt(Illinois)May 8, 2005

I am trying to restore a 3 acre parcel of mostly white oaks. By "restore" I mean I am hand pulling the %^!@!$@ garlic mustard, killing the dandelions, etc with the hope that the native plants will spread and thrive. I have a healthy assortment.. lots of trillium, trout lillies, bluebells, columbine, jacks, mayapples, etc.

My question is.. the stuff isn't really growing in "patches" but is scattered willy-nilly. Like there may be a single bluebell plant in the middle of a sea of columbine. Should I just let nature take its course, or would it be better to move the bluebell so it is amongst its peers?

Also, the floor is blanketed with virginia waterleaf.. it seems too much. I'm wondering if I should kill some of it so that the other ephemerals have a chance to spread?

Thanks.

Denise

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waplummer(Z5 NY)

It depends on what effect you want to have. I have a large colony of bluebells, but also scattered ones hither and yon. As for the waterleaf I would try to keep it under control.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 10:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Yes, thin out your waterleaf...it will take over! it's easy to pull. like Walplummer said, it depends on the effect you want to have. April

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
Propagating Black-Eyed Susans from Neighbors Woods
My neighbor (my mother) has some beautiful large patches...
MotherNauresDaughter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™