Tree/Shrub With White Flowers ID?

kicsibabaMay 17, 2005

We have a lot of these - some in shade, some in sun. In some cases, they are a tree (lower left corner of photo is the bark with lichens on it) about 15-20 feet tall. In the shade areas, they droop - almost touching the ground.

We cut one tree-sized one down and it's sprouting from the base of the trunk, becoming shrub-like.

I've looked through both my Tree and Shrub ID books, but just haven't hit the ID yet. Thanks for any info! Don't know if this is a "good" woodlands neighbor or another candidate for the eradication list.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waplummer(Z5 NY)

Could it be a Viburnum. The flowers look typical and it appears to have opposite leaves.

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 10:35PM
ginger_nh(z4 NH)

I agree with Walplummer. There are hundreds of viburnums--try googling nannyberry and blackhaw viburnums for a start. Use the distinctive flower type and the smooth shiny leaf as identifiers.

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 10:55PM
kicsibaba

Thanks Waplummer and Ginger_NH. It appears that it is definitely a viburnum, and very likely Nannyberry. The one key identifier? The wood really stinks (one site described it as smelling like a wet goat!) And to think I almost purchased one this spring...

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 7:19AM
Elaine_NJ6

It's V. prunifolium. If the new growth is reddish, that's especially distinctive. This is the only one that's already bloomed in this area.

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
ongoing stiltgrass battle...update
Ran out of wood chip mulch but needed to cover a deer...
adidas
anyone have a fairy glen fern?
or know of a place to get one?
bragu_DSM 5
Anyone had experience w/ Aralia elata?
Hello. Has anyone dealt w/the eradication of this one?...
adidas
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
Jack in the Pulpit Propagation
A youth group cleaned my garden and clipped three JITP...
Elgie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™