Star Jasmine propagation

bhand(TXz8)July 18, 2008

I planted a star jasmine vine 4 years ago and love it.

I put in on a trellis to provide a privacy screen on my deck. I love it thats its evergreen, love its dark green color and best of all when its in full bloom, I love the fragrant blossoms.

I noticed seed pods on it this year. Is there anything special I need to do to propagate a new vine from seed? OR, is there another way to start a new vine from this plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cweathersby

I've never noticed any seed pods.
A few years ago I took cuttings using the "baggie method" on my mother's star jasmine. I think that every single one of them rooted. So it's extremely easy to propagate from cuttings - I think any method would work.

The problem is they took a REALLY really long time to grow once they were rooted. I'm talking 3 years just to grow into the smallest size they would sell at the nursery. For me, it would have been better to go buy one for $6. Matter of fact, 2 years after waiting for all of the baby jasmines to grow I went out and bought one for $6. That one I bought has already reached the top of my trellis one year later, but the baby ones I planted aren't even a foot tall.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Your best all around plant.
What has been your best all around plant that you can...
nate82
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
I entered this post in the prairies and meadows forum...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™