Rudbeckia

lupineloonJuly 14, 2011

I love Rudbeckias, especially 'Iris Eyes,' Prairie Sun,' etc. They are listed by sellers of seed and plants as bi-annual, perennial, etc., depending on where you do your research. Some sites say they reseed but others say if they reseed, they may not be the original variety. My question really is if a seed does not come true in the garden, how can one buy seed that is true, for that variety? Do any of you start these particular Rudbeckias and if so, when? Can you winter sow? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I haven't grown Rudbeckias although I probably should, but I've read about how seed suppliers plant fields of the same variety of flowers so that no other variety is close enough to polinate them. The article below explains some of that, and the distances pollen travels and how; whether by wind, insects, etc.

In the home garden the varieties will be closer together and more likely to cross polinate so the seed would not necessarily come true. On the other hand you might get some very interesting colors and shapes from the crosses.

Here's a thread about sowing Rudbeckias on the Winter Sowing Forum:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wtrsow/msg122208208649.html

I hope this helps :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: How growers keep seeds true to type ...

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
oxblood lilies
tying to find some bulbs in the college station area.. anyone...
avalonweddingsbcs
How to plant Pride of Barbados seed pod?
Hi, For the first time I have a seed pod from my Pride...
monicatx
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
Thoughts on my grow list....
These guys are getting potted up the first time on...
reedbaizetex
Hummers?
Any hummers yet? I'm 30 miles north of San Antonio....
loreleicomal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™