Growing Olives in Houston?

kittysmith(z9Houston)July 4, 2008

Has anyone had luck with growing producing olive trees in Houston, especially table olives to be home-cured?

What varieties? Help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasflip(Nacogdoches, TX z8)

The Haak Vineyard over in Santa Fe tried growing olives a couple years ago but I don't think they had any succuess. You could try calling them up to see what varieties they planted.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 10:34AM
palmfarmer

I dont think olives are a good bet in Houston.
Olives like a little less humidity than what houston has to offer in the summer, and to produce fruit they need cooler nights than what you get in Houston. You could still gro as an ornamental, keeping an eye out for scale pests and fungal problems,they like excellent drainage too.

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 9:10AM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

Olives are amazingly easy to grow even in Houston. I planted a small one in the ground last fall, and it is about 26" tall already. Check out Sandy Oaks Olive Orchard located near Elmendorf, southeast of San Antonio. I think that you will be happy to find out all the important information on growing olives!

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 4:49PM
beachplant(9b)

There is a bed & breakfast on the island called the Olive Tree that has olive trees in front that are over 100 years old. They and others on the island produce olives.
Taly HO!

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 9:39AM
jerrytx(8B)

I have 2 tree's that I planted over 2 years ago, and are now 6' tall in Spring. I bought them at Fanick's garden center in San Antonio, the folks there said they are the same vareity that are used in the olive groves between S.A., and Corpus! Haven't put fruit on them yet, but are very healthy looking. ( I believe these are a Spanish var. that originated in Seville Spain)
Jer

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Your best all around plant.
What has been your best all around plant that you can...
nate82
Waxahachie Swap April 11 2015
We'll meet somewhere around 9 AM or so at Brown...
sylviatexas2
Establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
I entered this post in the prairies and meadows forum...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™