like jack-in-the-pulpit suggestions?

robbiezone5(z5 HudsonValley)May 25, 2006

a friend of our's who gardens here in the city gave us some jack-in-the-pulpits last year. we planted them in our garden upstate, and they are blooming now! they look fantastic! i'm wondering if there are other plants that look similar to jack-in-the-pulpits? interesting woodland-type plants? what are some of your suggestions that would do well in zone 5?

thanks!

--robbie--

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fusty_overalls(z6 PA)

i LOVE jack in the pulpits! i have mine in a woodlands garden with ferns and jacobs ladder plants. I also have trillium, bleeding heart and lily-of-the-valley. love the combo. watch out for lily of the valley. they smell great and are beautiful but, they spread fast and make a hard-to-dig-out mat of roots. jack-in-the-pulpit also spread fast (or, at least prolifically) but, they are easy to control and, as you've found, everyone appreciates it when you share. have fun!

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 9:46PM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

I'd avoid the Lily of the Valley, LOL! I love my jacks. There is a native plant that's related to jacks (I think)called green wizard. I don't have the binomial, I'm sorry, but if you googled green wizard...you'd come up with some pictures and sources of a very unique looking plant!

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 11:57PM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

I'm sorry...the common name is green dragon.

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 12:00AM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Arisaema dracontium

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 12:10AM
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

Mayapples.

Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 11:03AM
robbiezone5(z5 HudsonValley)

thanks for the tips! we have our jack-in-the-pulpits planted with mayapples. the only thing is that the mayapples kind of cover the jack-in-the-pulpits, but if they spread, hopefully this will work out fine. and thanks for the tip on the green dragon! that does look great!!!!

thanks so much!!!
--robbie--

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 6:48PM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

The mayapples will spread...but they are easily dug up and shared with friends! The green dragons are really cool looking plants. I find that soloman's seal and bloodroot are kind of aggressive in my garden. The Jacks seem to behave themselves.

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 11:30PM
geoffc(z5b MA)

Things that doo well for me in those Jack-in-the-pulpit areas include trillium, foamflower, starflower, toothwort and wild geranium. And, of course, just about any variety of fern. I've transplanted some Jacks along with trillium and Christmas fern (an evergreen) and it makes for some attractive and very natural groupings. Sprinkle some starflower in to fill the spaces ...

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
Getting RID of Poison Ivy
How do you KILL the stuff?! At the rear of our property...
catherineOH
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
Sponsored Products
Carnation Home Fashions Rubber Shower Mat - TM-D/13
$13.15 | Hayneedle
Acacia Wood French Rolling Pin
$13.99 | zulily
Fitzgerald Leather Sofa - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Breville the Hot Wok™
$129.95 | FRONTGATE
Hand-tufted Dream Light Blue Shag Rug (5'0 x 7'6)
Overstock.com
Torre 22 Bronze Two-Light Sconce with Cherry Glass
$247.50 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™