Tomatoes -Winter Sowing?

aka_margo(z5a WI)July 9, 2007

Like anyone wants to think about winter right now! However, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to winter sow tomaotes? I have a ton of tomatoes growing all over my yard that have reseeded themselves or the squirrels have seeded for me. The ones that reseed themselves grow faster than the ones that were more mature. I am going to experiment this winter and try it, but was wondering if anyone else has already done this with success.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justaguy2(5)

I have not had any success with it and I am also in zone 5 Wisconsin (Dodge county), BUT I have also never had a volunteer tomato grow in my yard. A friend of mine just a bit further south and east (Milwaukee county) has had numerous volunteers (but he never tried winter sowing).

So, I would say it is something you will just have to try to see how it goes for you. You can probably stack the odds in your favor a bit by not sowing in Dec/Jan and maybe waiting until March so the worst cold of winter is passed.

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 12:26AM
daddylonglegs(z5 WI)

Interesting idea. I do agree that volunteers of all kinds really seem to take off, I guess same would be true for winter sowing.
Most volunteer tomatoes I get are cherry type. Maybe I'll try it too.

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 1:38PM
yaaheydereh

Wherever I have grown tomatoes (since I rotate the crops) I always have a few volunteers pop up from the previous year. I haven't let them go full bore or transplanted them to see what happens yet. When I started gardening 4 years ago I was given 3 volunteers and they beared some fruit, but not as much as ones that were bought or started indoors. Not to say that they couldn't be as productive as long as the proper amendments are given early and they are nurtured.

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 9:51PM
cranberry15(Zone 5 WI)

I did successfully winter sow some tomatoes. I did it in milk jugs. Placed the jugs on the south-facing stone wall of my barn. They sprouted very early, then we had a wicked freeze and they were toast. I knew I should have moved them in to the garage over night, but I was too lazy. Lessons learned...

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
Bindweed Solutions
Here we go!!!! I know y'all got it somewhere..how do...
milwdave
Pruning trees
When is the best time of year to thin out a young Redbud...
Leafhead
Trout Lily.. dig up or keep?
We moved into our first home in August 2013, so all...
mandasannie
Raspberries ran a muck!
We just bought a home which has a 16x16' fencened in...
Cheyenne10
Weeping pussy willow tree
I just received one in the mail today that I ordered....
grullablue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™