Plant ID

semesterkeAugust 1, 2012

Trying to find what this plant is. Grows in woods at Point Beach St. Park and along walkway between Manitowoc and Two Rivers. Seems to have orange or red berry's. Anyone have the name?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

killer dont eat plant ?

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 4:31AM
semesterke

Sorry, but you did not answer the question. Still looking for a name. I see this all over and just wonder what it is.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 6:30AM
pondwelr(z5 WI)

It reminds me of gooseberry. Is it a 3/4 ft bush with sort of translucent berries with a pointed thorn-type protrusion at the end? Does the berry turn a lovely purple?

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 2:43PM
semesterke

This is nothing like gooseberry. The leaves are very different. I have 4 gooseberry plants in my back yard. I love gooseberry's, either green or after they turn black. Right now, mine have turned color and at this time it is a fight between me and the birds. While it is not a TKO, the birds are winning. I get enough for my needs so both the birds and I are happy. Some of the leaves are also turning red around the edges on my GB plants. I also found two GB plants at the State Park, far apart and way in the backwoods, away from the camp sites. Still looking for the name of this plant.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 4:36PM
johnsonm08(5a)

It looks like honeysuckle --an invasive species.
Mike

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:41PM
leftwood(z4a MN)

Agree - honeysuckle (Lonicera sp.) The paring of berries is typical. These berries are mildly poisonous to humans. Birds will eat them, however. There are native Lonicera sp. in Wisconsin, but this is not one of them. There are a couple (few?) invasive introduced species, L. tatarica being the most common, and that is most like it's identity. It is common in all lonicera spp. to have narrow, pointed winter buds, and to occasionally (or frequently) have more than one bud per leaf axil.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 11:02PM
semesterke

Thank you. Got to open up on my thinking. Have honeysuckle viens in my yard, never considered the bush!

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 6:32AM
More Discussions
Bindweed Solutions
Here we go!!!! I know y'all got it somewhere..how do...
milwdave
Lilac varieties
Hi, I am totally clearing a side lotline between two...
l_klink
Soil bed prep
can I use a thick layer of compost to kill off weeds...
mcbartz
Powdery mildew
I had a question about the mildew, I've heard don't...
Tolimatoes
Does anyone grow bougainvillea as an annual?
I purchased 2 Purple Queen bougainvillea today to grow...
mary_lu_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™