Chicken of the Forest

sprout_wi(z4 WI)August 15, 2010

Has anyone in western Wisconsin ever seen a large yellow tree fungus called Laetiporus sulfureus, also known as "Chicken of the Forest". Can you tell me where you have seen them growing. Thanks-

-Sprout

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birkie(z4 WI)

Hi, sprout:
We have specimens of your tree fungus in our woods NE of Spring Green almost every year and last year there was a large colony on our huge willow tree by the road. We ate lots and froze several pounds, and when the rest became too dried out to use, the deer cleaned it all up during the winter. I call it polyporus sulphureus (from my Orson Miller ID book) but it is obviously the same thing.

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 9:29PM
birdiewi(7b)

I have seen in in the Devil's Lake area and in Green Lake County. It is YUMMY!! Sautéed in a little butter and added to my salads or wraps. I wish I would find some now :)

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 11:30PM
elvis

It's called 'Chicken Mushroom', according to the Audubon Guide, but what do they know?

Laetiporus sulphureus~~

It's blooming right now where I am (Eagle River). It's on Oak--stumps, logs, or on living trees, though it's been my experience that the tree's days are numbered when that happens. AmericanMushrooms.com has good info, including when NOT to eat them.

Bon apetit!

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Bindweed Solutions
Here we go!!!! I know y'all got it somewhere..how do...
milwdave
Lilacs
I am writing for my cousin who is not on Garden Web,...
thonotorose
Does anyone Sale Pelargoniums in the Eau Claire Wisconsin
Does anyone know of a greenhouse around Eau Claire...
asclepchris
Patches of Dirt
My lawn seems to be an active mine field during the...
damando
Evil Neighbors Killing Plants w/ Roundup
Help! It's true. I live in a condo development with...
Temmie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™