Yellow inside tomato fruit

plants4chris(7)July 22, 2009

I'm hoping someone will know the cause of my tomato problem. I've tried researching and came up with nothing. My tomatoes look fine on the outside, nice and red. But beneath the skin the fruit has yellow veining. The outside wall, just beneath the skin is often very yellow in large areas. The same symptom is happening on all 3 of the full-size indeterminate varieties I'm growing this year (not grape or cherry). I'm thinking it's some sort of nutrient deficiency or possibly the heat? I had this problem last year, but to a lesser degree. I would very much appreciate an explanation if anyone has one.

Thanks,

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunsi(z5 NY)

Sun scald possibly. If you can maybe provide a photo.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 3:12PM
mojavebob(9/Sunset 11)

Does it look like the medium sized tomato at 1:00? This is a bad example because it is more pronounced on less photogenic fruit, but I'm sure it's caused by heat here.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 3:40PM
catman529(6b)

It could be cloudy spot caused by stink bugs. You may have a bad infestation of stink bugs where they're sucking on your tomatoes so much that you get a lot of yellow spotting.

Does it look like some of these pics?

Cloudy Spot on tomatoes from Stink Bugs

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 4:38PM
plants4chris(7)

The yellow veining does look like Mohavebob's pic at 1:00, but it doesn't show through the skin like that. In other words, if I peeled the tomato it would look similar to that, but with the skin on it would be red and show no signs of the problem. Same with the stink bug pics. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed a stink bug infestation (yuk). (Thanks for that info - I have seen that damage on my tomatoes before and didn't know what caused it). Right now I'm thinking it must be the heat. I'm in zone 7 and we aren't having all that hot of a summer relatively speaking. I will try to post a pic. Thanks for the help!
~~Chris

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Quick Start
I sowed 6 tomato varieties yesterday in frozen garden...
goodground
Tomato clips
I'm thinking of using tomato clips this year. Tying...
carriehelene
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Love San Marzano Redorta
There have been a lot of questions about what is the...
ikea_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™