Woodland Wildflower plant sources

linnea56(z5 IL)May 16, 2013

After a walk in the woods today a friend and I are interested in buying certain wildflowers (plants, not seeds). We are interested in Jack in the Pulpit and white trillium. I understand that when you order from some sources, they are not farmed, but actually wild collected. WeâÂÂd like to avoid that. Therefore IâÂÂd like to know some sources that are not.

I bought some bagged bare root ferns a few years back. None of them were even remotely like the varieties mentioned on the labels. I bought 3 âÂÂdifferentâ kinds, and they were all exactly the same. I came on here to try to ID them, and was told they were probably wild collected, and whoever dug them was only concerned with digging up any old fern. So if someone knows a reputable source, please let me know. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adidas(6/7)

Hi,

I don't buy many plants but I have bought seeds from here AND they also sell plants (JIPS and trills). They are nursery grown plants. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Moon nursery

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 9:24PM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

Prairie Moon is a great nursery. I also LOVE the similarly named Prairie Nursery since they sell healthy, seed grown plants in small (3") easy to plant pots.

Plant Delights, Arrowhead Alpines and Munchkin Nursery all have a wide selection of nursery propagated trilliums. Sunlight Gardens is a wonderful source of native wildflowers as well.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 10:17PM
dr.liz(7 NJ)

I have been delighted with the quality of plants I received this spring from Sunlight Gardens, So I definitely second the opinion from Ispahan about them.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 12:02AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Wild Type Farm in Mason MI is very reputable and has high quality plants. I've only purchased directly at their site, since my sister lives within a mile of their facility, but I'm sure they ship all over the country. Good luck and thanks for taking the care to use reputable sources for your plants.

Martha

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 6:31AM
momliz(7a VA)

go to your local native plant society - in your case it would be the Illinois Native Plant Society - http://www.ill-inps.org/. They can direct you to plants that were grown locally so they are better suited to where you are. And, you would be supporting local plant conservation and education efforts.

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 11:43PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Thank you all!

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 2:31PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Thank you all!

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 2:32PM
carolesmom

I'm trying to start a woodland garden in an area that is all oak and pine, therefore acid soil. It is also upland and rather dry. Any suggestions on types of wildflowers????
I have coral bells and the lady slippers grow there naturally.
This is Zone 5 in Massachusetts.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 3:12PM
posieh(3)

I'm looking for a source for Lycopodiaceae also known as Ground Pine, Princess Pine or Club Moss. Would like some plants. It goes wild here but difficult to find.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Anyone had experience w/ Aralia elata?
Hello. Has anyone dealt w/the eradication of this one?...
adidas
Bittersweet
I am wanting to find some bittersweet. I am willing...
ohiocrafter
Poison Sumac Tree
Is this a poison sumac tree by chance? My woods appear...
mrwillya
when to transplant lily of the valley
I bought a couple of half gallon (I think) pots of...
komi
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™