Tomato Rot

nicole_02August 3, 2006

I have noticed that some of my Tomatoes are starting to ripen and the bottoms of them are rotted. No others are ripening yet. I am worried. Could this be due to the extreme heat wave we just had?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Snomam(Zone 3)

sounds like "blossom end rot". You can Google that and read all about it. I save eggshells for the calcium and crush them, put a handfull in each hole before transplanting the seedling, has been working fine ::::knock on wood:::::. There is also a calcium spray.

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 3:42PM
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

Nicole, it happens to even the experts. About the time that I claim that I won't have it this year, two fruit on one of the Medford's showed up with it. It's the plant's inability to take up calcium and may happen even if they are growing in a limestone quarry. Everyone has a theory as to exactly why it happens but none have ever been proven 100%. It's common with some varieties, mostly the early types, and rare with others, mostly late types. It seems that the plants need more time to develop a proper system for processing calcium. No matter what variety is affected, there is one thing for certain. You can throw many dollars worth of cure at the plants and it will go away. You can do nothing and it will go away just as fast!

Martin

Bookmark   August 5, 2006 at 12:48AM
nicole_02

Thank you for the follow ups. I have a tomato turning color right now, and so far no rot. So, if I understand what you are saying, is even if some fruit on the plant has rot, I can produce more fruit off the same plant that may be fine?

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 4:02PM
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

Nicole, you are correct in your assumption. Unless you are growing a variety which is notorious for Blossom End Rot, your plant has probably quickly outgrown the problem. Usually it is the Roma or paste types which are affected but it supposedly should happen to almost any variety. Why it doesn't has not yet been explained.

Martin

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Trout Lily.. dig up or keep?
We moved into our first home in August 2013, so all...
mandasannie
Bindweed Solutions
Here we go!!!! I know y'all got it somewhere..how do...
milwdave
Evil Neighbors Killing Plants w/ Roundup
Help! It's true. I live in a condo development with...
Temmie
Garden Show in Madison this weekend
Is anybody going? what was your impression? Hope the...
hawkeye840
Christmas cactus
Just wanted to show my cactus off. :) Believe it is...
gardeningmomof3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™