Drip Irrigation Questions

blueboy1977(TX9A/B)July 24, 2013

Im in the process of attempting to install drip irrigation to my blueberries. Ive only got 3 raised beds now that are 3ftx3ftx10in and 20 potted plants. Using rainwater with about 1200gallons of storage. I will be using a 1/2hp pump. Guessing about 75 drip emitters total at 1 gph each. Total lenght of pipe will be some where around 130ft of 3/4inch pvc ran in the ground. Ontop of that will be the maybe 30 ft of 3/4 poly tubing for emitters.
Questions,

Will a 1/2hp pump supply enough water to only have one zone for all the emitters?

Do I really need a back flowpreventer/air siphion if automated valves and a check valve are in place? Do I even need one with rain water???

I have no first flush diverter on my rain system so the water is pretty dirty. Any suggestions on filtration?

Any controllers and pump start relays you can recommend and ones you dont trust or have problems with?

Any problems you guys/gals have had and what you would do different if you had it to do over again?

Anything else related??? Things Im not considering here???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Sounds like it will be a very nice system. Been a while since we looked at adding tap connected drip, but seem to recall the biggest problem was messing with the configuration to keep the pressure/flow the same from one end of a circuit to the other. You may get a more knowledgeable response over on the irrigation forum.

Just curious.... what are you using to store 1200 gallons of rainwater?

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 10:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

Thanks for the response. I have 12 barrels that hold 65gal and a 300-400 gallon tub all piped together. It all tucking into the corner of the yard by a shed with a fence around it because it was kind of a eye sore, at least to my wife any way! I really would like to have more storage. It only lasts about a month if no rain. I have to water the blueberries daily in the summer or they wilt badly.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Do you use sprinkler, sprinkler system or soaker hoses?
I used to have a sprinkler system around my foundation...
marti8a
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™