growing Garlic

peoniesandposiesAugust 15, 2011

My young adult daughters really want me to grown garlic in my garden next year - I live in Southern Wisconsin. I'm not a garlic fan, but am willing to make them happy. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to which are the best varieties to grow here (both for taste and for storage life).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

The link should get you off to good start. I grow a hardneck garlic which they say doesn't store as well as softnecks, but they do fine by me. Also, there is an Allium Forum here on Garden Web.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin Garlic

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 12:41AM
skeip

I'm in the Madison area, and have a few different varieties that I have been growing with great success. The above link gives you good cultural advice. If you want to contact me through my page, I can arrange to get you some bulbs for you to try.

Steve

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 4:26PM
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

I'm a garlic nut. I grow hardneck variates. I've planted garlic for several years. I think I grow Russian red. Every year I get a few big bulbs from the madison market to plant in the fall. But I always save the biggest clove from each head I harvest to plant in the fall,and every year they seem to get bigger and bigger. This year's garlic was the best every. I use compost and also organic fertilizer. I plant in early October and usually mulch with leaves-but last year I forgot to mulch. I do move my bed around. I LOVE MY GARLIC

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 12:22AM
wilcinbro1(4)

Hi! We grow both hardneck and softneck varieties. True, hardneck may not store as well as the softneck, BUT, the cloves are bigger. And, besides, as far as storing, we freeze the individual, cleaned cloves. And, grab as many cloves we will be cooking with right out of the freezer.

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Weeping pussy willow tree
I just received one in the mail today that I ordered....
grullablue
Lilac varieties
Hi, I am totally clearing a side lotline between two...
l_klink
Does anyone grow bougainvillea as an annual?
I purchased 2 Purple Queen bougainvillea today to grow...
mary_lu_gw
whats good seed for sweet corn
Last year I bought some corn seed, of course don't...
steelskies
Artichokes in SE Wisco?
I like to try a "novelty crop" every year...
sprout.918
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™