Lady Slipper?

dighappy(z7 NJ)May 3, 2005

Every year I get a bunch of these lovely flowers blooming in a wooded area on my property. I thought they might be lady slippers and although they have not fully bloomed, I am hoping someone can give me a definite ID. If a pic of the plant when it has fully bloomed is needed I can post a few more pics when they have matured. Can anyone confirm that these are Lady Slippers or are they something else. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron_W(z6 NH)

Yep! Without a doubt, it is a ladyslipper (Cypripedium acaule).

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 11:46PM
Elaine_NJ6

It will be clearer when it's in full bloom, but it sure looks like a pink lady's slipper. You're very lucky. Whatever you're doing or not doing, don't change a thing.

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 11:47PM
plantfreak(z9aKyushuJapan)

As Ron said, without a doubt C. acuale. The best way to cultivate these is to simply leave them alone! Not uncommon plants but a lovely thing to have growing naturally on your land. PF

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 4:47AM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

Another vote for stemless lady slipper. You can tell it 'cause it's the only one with two basal leaves. Nice pictures, I like all the pine needles showing that it's right where it belongs. Yours are about a week ahead of the ones here.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 10:38AM
dighappy(z7 NJ)

I never mess with these guys and enjoy them just where they are. I have about 16 of them growing in one little section of the woods and many others spread out a little more. It's funny as a good portion of our property is wooded (only have 3.5 acres) but this little piece of woods is the only place I have seen them growing. I will post more pics when they have fully bloomed. Thanks for your responses.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 11:31AM
dighappy(z7 NJ)

Here are several "Ladies" in full bloom. They are so lovely and boy do they spread. DH found that we also have them in the back of the property.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™