Plum growers out there??

mr.maderAugust 26, 2007

What is the most popular type Plum grown in Wisconsin? Looking to get a few Plum trees next spring.........wondering what is the best producer for this State. The UW just bred a new plum tree called the Lydecker plum, but there not in nurseries yet. The Lydecker plum was bred just for Wisconsin, a heavy producer of large purple california type plums........but can handle are cold winters. Just looking around to see what's all out there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bob_Zn5(Z5 WI)

I grew a Stanley for a few years. The tree died at the graft but that had nothing to do with hardiness & it set tons of flowers every Spring. I don't always trust the flavor of new varieties unless I know the motive of the breeder. That being said, I don't know much about the tree you're considering. Ler us know how it works out. The Stanley was self pollinating which is one of the reasons I chose it.

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 10:10PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Superior and Alderman. Both put in the ground this spring. Might have fruit next spring, probably not. I'm looking to add 2 more. LOTS of choices for plum growers, but am thinking some might not work here.

I also grow and have picked peaches from my tree.

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 12:52AM
mr.mader

Italian prune Plum Growers here in WI???

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Lilac varieties
Hi, I am totally clearing a side lotline between two...
l_klink
buckthorn brush
Hi, I'm new here and new to Wisconsin. I recently noticed...
kplusonline
Garlic questions
Second post today. :) What are your favorite softneck...
sarcastichousewife
Anyone trapping rabbits now to keep spring plants safe?
Where I live (suburbs) I have noticed that if I trap...
justaguy2
Hi out there!
I'm a newbie gardener. This is the fourth year I've...
sarcastichousewife
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™