What to do with Semi-invasive Shrubs

achang89(Z6)June 24, 2012

This is a mature woodland with many tall trees. But it is thin in middle layer, the small trees and shrubs. I've cut down some of the invasive species, such as honeysuckle shrubs and some others. But I'm not sure if I need to cut down some of the semi-invasive ones, such as barberry, etc. There are some, but not too many. We do have tons of birs feeding on the trees, shrubs and wild raspberries.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

One thing to consider about exotic plants that are not invasive is that they support very little insect life. Caterpillars don't hatch on them because native butterflies by and large lay eggs on native plants. Leaving these in place is similar to having "plastic" plants when it comes to insects.

And when insects can't feed on them, the insect population declines in that area and so does the bird population (birds need insects to raise their young).

So that is one consideration.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 2:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kjbarr(6)

Deer ticks like japanese barberry so if that's what you have, assuming you have deer, it might be a good one to get rid of.
We removed ours for this reason.

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2012/02/controlling-japanese-barberry-helps-stop-spread-of-tick-borne-diseases/

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
Help Identifying Woodland Vine
Would be very grateful if someone can help me identify...
LongMountainMom
Jack in the Pulpit Propagation
A youth group cleaned my garden and clipped three JITP...
Elgie
anyone have a fairy glen fern?
or know of a place to get one?
bragu_DSM 5
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™