color for wooded area in NE Pennsylvania

nmbollerJune 21, 2011

Hello,

I have a wooded area in the rear of my property filled with a variety of trees as well as some creeping viney plants. The soil is pretty moist and was hoping for some advice of what to plant back there that will add a bit of color to the landscape. I live in N.E. Pennsylvania. I am having trouble finding plants for shade.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Full shade? Or does it get some sun? Partial shade makes for a wider choice.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 8:45AM
nmboller

It is mostly in full shade, but the edge of the woods gets a little bit. I was thinking of ferns, but was hoping to add a touch of color.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 4:37PM
linda_schreiber(z5/6 MI)

A few suggestions for next year are wood poppies, bleeding hearts and trout lilies. But that doesn't help you beyond mid-June. If there is color in deep to mid-heavy shade that works in late summer to fall, I would love to know more.

Hoping some others have good recommendations!

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 10:24PM
ncrescue

I know white is not a color, but I love black cohosh, which sends up a fairly tall white spike, usually by the end of June. This has a bonus of some height that is often missing in the woodland garden. Aster divericatus (has new name now) blooms white in the shade later in the summer as does Chamaelirium luteum, Davil's or fairy wand.

If you have really great soil, try the Disporums. The harebells will bloom in light shade as well as shooting stars, Dodecatheons. And don't forget Heucheras, although I find they do better for me in pots since they are picky about drainage.

The red berries of some plants add color later, such as Golden Seal, False Sol. seal, and Jacks, to name a few.

Of course, I enjoy the different greens of a variety of ferns, and if we just had consistent rain here one summer, I bet I wouldn't miss any color at all!

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:35AM
waplummer(Z5 NY)

You have so many choices. Starting in early spring theere is bloodroot, twinleaf, trout lily, Virginia bluebells, Solomon seal, false solomon seal, merrybells, fairy bells goldseal, crested iris, wood lily, turk's cap lily, blue cohosh, red and white baneerry, jack-in-the-pulpit. A lot of these have colorful berries. And ferns. they may not supply color, but the variety is amazing.

I am originally from NE Pa.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 1:41PM
on_greenthumb

I know these aren't exactly "native" plants, but I love astilbes in my wooded garden for bright pops of colour.....they mesh really well with white and greens......

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 7:51AM
More Discussions
Wild grape vine
The woods surrounding my house are all strung together...
leigh_va
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
Anyone know what type of tree this is?
There are no leaves yet but it is blooming. Appears...
sharbear50
anyone raised hickory trees from seed?
I have a bumper supply of hickory nuts this fall, and...
OldGrove
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™