compost

kmccroy(z5WI)August 19, 2006

Hi all,

I live in Milwaukee and was wondering if anyone knew where I can get free compost? I have a very small yard with many flowers and no place to compost! Don't want to wait valuable space...

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lee53011(5)

you could trench compost. Just dig a hole and throw in your vegetable and fruit scraps. Works great for the soil. Just dig deep enough, about a foot and bury the stuff. Only drawback is sometimes you may get volunteers such as tomato plants or watermelon plants. Easily pulled if you don't want them.

Lee

Bookmark   August 19, 2006 at 11:39PM
janetpetiole(4b)

The city most likely composts leaves, brush, grass, etc, but in a city the size of Milwaukee, it probably goes pretty fast. Have you checked that out yet?

I know someone who grinds up all her fruit and vegetable scraps up in an old blender with a little water added. She then pours it into a bucket she keeps in the garage, and every few days (or before it begins to smell), digs a hole and pours it in. The finer pieces decompose faster.

If you are trying to improve your soil overall, cut up leaves the leave this fall with a lawn mover, leaf vac, or put them in a big garbage can and use a string trimmer to cut them to bits. Spread on the beds. If you don't have a lot of trees in your area, you could ask your neighbors for their leaves. I've heard of gardeners driving around taking leaf bags, from in front of houses that are out on the curb waiting for pickup by the city. Chopped up leaves are one of best thing you can put on your garden in fall. They protect the soil in winter, and by the growing season next year most of them will have been worked into the soil.

Composted cow manure in bags works well, it's inexpensive, and convenient. I can get bags of composted manure for $1.24 at Fleet Farm. It's not free like you want, but for a small, full garden, it might not be too expensive.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 10:18AM
aka_margo(z5a WI)

Also might want to check out the county landfill. I get all the compost I want from my father-in-law who works for one. So I'm not sure it's free to everyone, but doesn't hurt to call up the closest one and ask.

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 8:48AM
janetpetiole(4b)

I didn't know that the county landfill had compost. Do you know if it better than the almost-compost-but-not-quite stuff that is available from the city?

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 8:36PM
aka_margo(z5a WI)

The stuff I get from my father-in-law is full of worms. It does have some small chunks of wood in it, but it is black and very moist. I haven't seen the stuff you can get at the city so I can't compare.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 9:13PM
janetpetiole(4b)

I forgot to ask... is the county compost available to everyone?

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 9:45PM
aka_margo(z5a WI)

I'm not sure if it's available to everyone, but it doesn't hurt to call and ask. I ask my father-in-law and he said in his county (Adams) they sell it at the local gas stations as Country Compost or something like that.

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
Patches of Dirt
My lawn seems to be an active mine field during the...
damando
buckthorn brush
Hi, I'm new here and new to Wisconsin. I recently noticed...
kplusonline
Anyone trapping rabbits now to keep spring plants safe?
Where I live (suburbs) I have noticed that if I trap...
justaguy2
Raspberries ran a muck!
We just bought a home which has a 16x16' fencened in...
Cheyenne10
Where can I buy bulk organic compost in Green Bay/Appleton area?
Does anyone know of a good source for bulk organic...
cukesalad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™