What is your favorite type of woodland/forest?

jimbobfeeny(5a IN)June 14, 2012

Just a question I thought I'd throw out there. My favorite forest types are:

-Northern Hardwoods, with yellow birch, sugar maple, and beech dominant, but with other trees present, such as red oak, ash, etc. This forest type is extremely pretty in the fall, with the maples and birches and oaks.

-Spruce-fir forests, with dense, year-round cover and mossy floors. I love how cool and quiet these forests are; I especially like the red spruce - fraser fir forests of the Southern Appalachians.

-Mesophytic hardwood forests (beech-maple around here) - These are the woods I grew up with, and I love the variety of shrubs, wildflowers, and trees. I spent most of my childhood roaming the woods while others my age watched TV! (I'm still fairly young - I suppose that might be an advantage for woodland gardening!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

An uncivilized "wild" redwood forest with ferns that are almost as tall as you and you have to watch your step as ravines can be covered over by fallen trees and years of debris. The link below is to an image of one that appears to be such though it does look somewhat tailored and may be a second growth forest.

Here is a link that might be useful: wild Redwood forest

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 5:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I must say that the forests of the Pacific Northwest are on my life list of things to see.

But having grown up and spent all of my life in the Northeastern US, I must say that I favor the mixed hardwood forests of the northeast that are filled with oak, beech, ash, hickory, and maple trees. They have an understory of spicebush, witch hazel, dogwood, serviceberry, and more. With an assortment of woodland wildflowers and plants including bellworts, solomon's seal, jack-in-the-pulpit, mayapple, trillium, bloodroot, wild geranium, baneberries, spring beauty, squirrel corn, ramps, blue cohosh, meadow rue, trout lilies, various ferns, and more. It is my image of paradise.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Re-establishing natives in Woodland restoration project
I've spent the last 6 months removing buckthorn in...
Nettiesgarden
Poison Sumac Tree
Is this a poison sumac tree by chance? My woods appear...
mrwillya
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
Sponsored Products
Larchmere Double Gourd Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Medici Apple Butter Pearl 10' x 13'
Home Depot
Toto Nexus Toilet - CST794EF#01
$592.20 | Hayneedle
'Let's Be Grand Adventurers' Wall Plaque
$21.99 | zulily
Homelegance Aris Computer Writing Desk in Brown Cherry
Beyond Stores