do japanese beetles eat currants?

greenbeansAugust 10, 2009

I'd like to get some currant bushes but before I do, can anyone tell me if they have problems with japanese beetles eating them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

We have both red currants and everbearing red raspberries. We also have japanese beetles. Our JB's have a strong preference for the raspberry patch. But they might go for the currant bush, if there were no raspberry leaves available. Not sure.

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 10:19AM
justaguy2(5)

I don't have currants, but notice that in my yard the JB prefer raspberries above all else. They also like green beans a lot. As long as I have these two things growing they concentrate there and are fairly sparse on other things they are known to like such as grapes. This yer I have noticed a lot of them on yellow marigolds, but not other colors.

Probably not much help, but what I am trying to say is that to some extent you can keep them away from a plant by providing a plant they like more.

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 2:08PM
krimjim(5 WI)

The good news is the Jap beetles are almost done here in Madison, I've had plenty of them. Not sure about currants, never grown them. I sprayed my ferns and grapevines with Bonide 8 again this year, that does a great job. I hate using any insectacide. but that's the only option (I never eat the grapes anyway). I had a Birch tree in the front yard literally eaten alive by the beetles, had to cut it down last year. I hand pick them and drop em in soapy water on the rasperries, beans, asparagus, marigolds and morning glories. It's a constant battle (noon & night), but very satisfing! A good attractant plant is morning glories. Beetles are easy pickins from the large flat leaves at top plus MG seed is easily saved in fall for next years plants.

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 6:05PM
greenbeans

Thanks for the posts. If anyone has seen japanese beetles munching on currants, post here!

I'm well-versed in the daily drill of knocking beetles off my hazelnuts bushes into soapy water, and don't want to add to their buffet if I can help it.

I wonder if planting an attractant plant to draw the beetles off my hazelnuts, etc ends up working like those baits that draw more into your yard... hmmm... thoughts?

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 10:06PM
wumpdad(4)

I have currants and the JBs don't seem interested in them. However, I also have 2 cherry trees and 20+ raspberry bushes that keep them well occupied and focused elsewhere.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Artichokes in SE Wisco?
I like to try a "novelty crop" every year...
sprout.918
ID help Any ideas?
SE Wisconsin area. Thanks!
kellief
Powdery mildew
I had a question about the mildew, I've heard don't...
Tolimatoes
Hardy Hibiscus Moy Grande Mallow
Would like to buy a plant southern WI. or Northern...
hawkeye840
Lilac varieties
Hi, I am totally clearing a side lotline between two...
l_klink
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™